cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mini printer vlan problem

Aquiles
Level 1
Level 1

i have a cisco switch with 4 vlans, i have a printer on native vlan and it can be ping, but when we send to print it just stuck on the queue on the computer,   but it respond to ping, but if we move to another vlan not native i cant even ping,  im using switch sf300-24pp small bussisness, what can i be missing.

19 Replies 19

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- For starters , check  - indeed if the printer can work if both the client (requesting a print) and the printer ; are in the same
    VLAN

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

of course  they are in the same vlan,

Hi @Aquiles 

"i have a cisco switch with 4 vlans, i have a printer on native vlan and it can be ping, but when we send to print it just stuck on the queue on the computer"

Meaning, connectivity is fine. The print stuck in the queue can be a computer problem.

" but it respond to ping, but if we move to another vlan not native i cant even ping, im using switch sf300-24pp small bussisness, what can i be missing."

But did you move both PC and Printer to the same vlan? If not, they will not ping and this is the expected behavior.

yes they are on the same vlan vlan id 50, but somehow the printer doesnt seems to get even an ip address from dhcp, but if i move to native vlan the printer can get the ping

- If the printer is not in the same vlan as the DHCP server  then you need to define  a DHCP relay for that vlan in the switch configuration pointing to the DHCP server ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

But where are the DHCP server? Also in vlan 50? 

Keep in mind that if you mix up Vlans you need to have a layer 3 device or your switch need to support inter-vlan routing.

yes i have a dhcp server for each vlan

>...yes i have a dhcp server for each vlan
  - Does that mean that you have several dhcp servers ?

M.

i have a each dhcp for each vlan

- Ok  , let's backtrack a bit on the problem : if the host and  printer are in the same vlan , and you can ping the printer from the printer-client (needs a print) , can you then use and or print on the printer ?

M.

if the printer its on native vlan can be pinged, but if i vlan tag i cant, even if the client its on the same vlan, looks like the switch block the transmision for this device

- Lets stay simple : when on same vlan  , no tags involved : can you then print ?

M.

i can ping but cant print, its wierd, if i tag , i cant even ping.

Then you problem is more likely with how you have setup the printer on the PC.

If you configure the printer with a static IP address and then manually setup the printer with that IP address on the PC does it work?

By default printers tend to rely on mDNS (Bonjour) to advertise their services and allow PCs to discover them.  If something on your switch is blocking multicast/mDNS then that will prevent autodiscovery of the printer.  If the printer is on a different VLAN from the PC then mDNS will only work with an mDNS gateway (mDNS is only designed to work on local layer 2 subnet/vlan by default)