cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixed 1130 and 1142 LWAPP environment - any issues?

Jennifer Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

We are just about to upgrade our wireless system of 250x 1130 IOS APs by adding 500x LWAPP 1142 APs (plus controllers, WCS etc.) and then upgrading the 1130s to LWAPP and re-using them for coverage.

I'm looking at putting the 1142 APs where we need the capacity, Libraries, Lecture Rooms, Classrooms, Meeting Rooms etc. and keeping the 1130 APs for office areas.

Anybody have any issues, tips or suggestions with the above? would I be better keeping the AP types the same for individual floors or buildings? or will a complete mix work fine?

Cisco rep. says its fine, but I'm looking for real world experience.

Regards,

Jen

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

would I be better keeping the AP types the same for individual floors or buildings

Honestly, I'd look at your switch first.  The 1140 got a GigabitEthernet connection.  I'd prioritize the 1140 to be deployed on GigE ports.

Also, the 1140 can support 802.11n while the 1130 can support only a/b/g.  So now I'd be asking which areas you've mention will benefit with 802.11n and which areas won't. 

Thanks.

The 1142s will be connected to Gigabit POE switches, the 1130s will be connected to fast ethernet POE.

I realise the 1142s are 802.11n, which is why I'm putting them in areas where I know I need 802.11n for capacity. There may be between avg. 20 - peak 50 on an AP, just using it for Internet access.

The 1130 abg APs will be covering office areas where there may be 5-15 users using it for internet access.

Obviously we have Classrooms and other high capacity areas like Lecture Theatres etc. either along the corridor from, or opposite from, office areas.

I really just need to know if theres no problem having an 1142 covering a Classroom and then having its neighbouring AP or APs, which are covering a few offices, being 1130s.

Will RRM work just fine in this case or are there caveats I should know about.

Jen.

The 1142s will be connected to Gigabit POE switches, the 1130s will be connected to fast ethernet POE.

Good plan.  I would've done the same thing.  Take note that the 1130 "mood ring" can cause issues to people with medical conditions.  You can disable the mood ring.

I realise the 1142s are 802.11n, which is why I'm putting them in areas where I know I need 802.11n for capacity. There may be between avg. 20 - peak 50 on an AP, just using it for Internet access.

50 clients to an AP is not going to be good.  It's going to slow access down.  Cisco recommends no more than 25.  I'd recommend that you check the usage and more 1142 when necessary.  Also, we (me and a few others plus Cisco) also recommend that you disable the data rates of the 802.11b and enable 12 mbps as MANDATORY.  This will force all clients to go to a/g/n.

Obviously we have Classrooms and other high capacity areas like Lecture Theatres etc. either along the corridor from, or opposite from, office areas.

How high do you plan to install the APs in the Lecture Theatres?

I really just need to know if theres no problem having an 1142 covering a Classroom and then having its neighbouring AP or APs, which are covering a few offices, being 1130s.

I see no issues with this.

Will RRM work just fine in this case or are there caveats I should know about.

Just leave RRM and DCA to automatic and if you want schedule (using WCS) for RRM and DCA to "recalculate" once a day (outside office/class hours like 4am).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card