Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixed AP models on 9800?

tim.graf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

is there any compatibility matrix which AP model can be managed by 9800 controller? Does a 9800 controller can only handle one kind of access point at the same time, e.g. can a 9120AXI and a CW9166i be attached to and managed by the same controller?

Thanks for a short hint, regards
Stefano

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@tim.graf

Managing different access point models or generations through one controller is indeed a practical scenario and is commonly implemented in various network environments. It is known as a mixed-mode deployment, where different AP models or generations coexist and are managed by a centralized controller.

While there may be specific cases where a particular AP model or generation is incompatible with a given controller, in most scenarios, managing different APs through one controller is a viable and practical approach.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @tim.graf,

Please find informations here:

Access Point Specific Wireless Controller Software Support

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#cat-9800_ctrls

Best regards

Thanks! I saw this document already, but overlooked the information regarding the APs. Perfect.

What about the other question? Is it even a practical scenario to manage different AP models or AP generations together through one controller? Or is that a general no-go?

Regards.

@tim.graf

Managing different access point models or generations through one controller is indeed a practical scenario and is commonly implemented in various network environments. It is known as a mixed-mode deployment, where different AP models or generations coexist and are managed by a centralized controller.

While there may be specific cases where a particular AP model or generation is incompatible with a given controller, in most scenarios, managing different APs through one controller is a viable and practical approach.

Best regards

Great! Thanks for this helpful information.

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

My option is to manage APs from different software code (AireOS, IOS-XE) using different controllers. If you deploy virtual WLCs the CAPEX will be reduced, and take advantage of the smart licensing.

This has some logic as Cisco will stop supporting IOS-APs again after 17.9 release (after recovering support on 17.9.3 maybe due to semiconductors crisis which lead to many customers to postpone AP upgrade). At some point you would want/need to add new features to WLANs, or whatever piece of config in the deployment, that won't be supported by IOS-APs and that may impact their operability. This way you can freeze config for  the WLCs supporting IOS-APs, but continue moving forward releases and feaures for IOS-XE ones.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Note that later on when you are using the (a) 9800 controller , you can always issue the (CLI) command show tech wireless ; feed the output into : https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/ 
          Besides configuration advisories , you will also get feedback on issues concerning coverage and RRM   , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card