cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Anchor Help

jahetrick
Level 1
Level 1

I think I may need a mobility anchor, but I've never used them in production, and its been awhile since I've used them in a practice.

There are 3 sites.  Each has its own WLC (see below for WLC specifics).  There is a specific VLAN/Subnet/WLAN that only exists at Site A, but a need has arisen to now present it to wireless clients at Site B & C.  Due to reasons too long to explain, at this point, its not feasible to get physical connectivity of the specific VLAN/Subnet in question to the WLCs at Site B & C. The three controllers are part of the same campus network (they're not at remote sites connected by slow leased lines or anything like that), and are already part of a mobility group, we're just not using any anchors. 

What are my options? Is a Mobility Anchor the right direction to give me a "virtual" connection to the network that only lives at Site A?

Site A;
5508, code 8.0.132.103
Has a physical connection to a local VLAN/Subnet, for discussion purposes lets say VLAN 100 / 10.10.100.0/24

Site B:
4402, code 7.0.252.0
Clients require access to the same WLAN / 10.10.100.0 network that lives at Site A, can't get a physical connection to that VLAN/Subnet

Site C:
Identical to Site B:

P.S.
WLCs are centrally managed by Prime 3.0

And I know the 4402s should be upgraded to something newer.  Its in the works

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Hi,

From the information provided,I could see you would have two options.

1.You can get rid of your 4402s and configure your remote sites as FlexConnect and advertise the required WLAN as central switched.Check here for the deployment considerations and you'd need to pay attention on the WAN Link section as you mentioned they are slow WAN

2.If you are upgrading 4402s,You certainly can look in to Mobility Anchor feature as you thought but I'm not certain about the exact WAN requirement for Anchoring as in point of minimum WAN link requirement(perhaps someone else could help you out with that) but everything else is available on the WLC for you to configure,

Cheers,

Prabath 

***Please rate all the useful posts***
-Prabath

Hi,

I am facing the similar issue while creating Mobility anchor tunnels between foreign and anchor controllers. Below are the models which we are using as anchor and foreign controllers.

Foreign Controller:
Model : AIR-2504
OS Version : 8.0.152.0

Anchor Controller:
Model: AIR-5520
OS version : 8.2.166.0.

Would like to know if there is any Compatibility issue with the both AIROS Versions or the hardwares.

we are sure we have allowed all the required ports of tunnel formation.

But we could see only control path is UP, but Data path is still down for mobility formation.

Please suggest on this.

Thank You.

Krishna.

TAC will always recommend that code be the same. However, here is the support guide:
IRCM Compatibility Matrix
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#pgfId-201251
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card