cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility client uses (2) database entries on mobility anchor?

Justin Kurynny
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all. Looking for a little help/insight here.

According to this document, the 4400 series WLC supports up to 5000 client database entries: http://www.cisco.com/image/gif/paws/113303/restrict-wlan-clients-00.pdf

I am running into an issue where I have a 4402-12 acting as a guest mobility anchor controller and it is maxing out at 2500 clients. There are no client types other than mobility tunnel clients exported from other controllers on this controller.

Is this because mobility anchored clients use (2) database entries on the anchor WLC? Is there a CLI command I could use to look at the database entries?

Justin

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure that you have the db pushed to 2048.

config database size 2048

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

You can use "show database summary" command to see what is the utilization of your WLC database

(WLC) >show database summary

Maximum Database Entries......................... 2048

Maximum Database Entries On Next Reboot.......... 2048

Database Contents

MAC Filter Entries........................... 52

Exclusion List Entries....................... 65

AP Authorization List Entries................ 7

Management Users............................. 2

Local Network Users.......................... 0

Local Users.............................. 0

Guest Users.............................. 0

Total........................................ 126

I believe this is for the local MAC address entries we can configure on a WLC & not the max client support by the controller. 5000 client limit is different to this & I do not know a show command to get that output.

HTH

Rasika

Justin Kurynny
Level 4
Level 4

Got a response from TAC.

First of all, the maximum client associations is not the same as the database size (which I believe is more related to the number of instances of authenticated users in the local db, webauth authentications, admin authentications, etc.).

So, I apologize for using the word "database" in an ambiguous context. I know that when we talk about db size on a WLC we're usually talking about the configurable database, not the max client associations number (which is also a database, but a different one afaik).

The answer is that the maximum allowed clients on a 4402-12 is 2500. While link I posted previously indicates that the max clients on the 4400 platform is 5000, this is not entirely true, and I believe that only the upper-end 4400s (maybe only the 4404?) support 5k clients.

In any case, we were hitting the max client count. We've migrated the anchor onto a bigger controller and the problem is resolved.

Thanks Stephen and Rasika for your repsonses.

Justin

Thanks Justin for the update. +5 for you

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card