Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Express, AP1815i and AP1830

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello to the whole community.

I wanted to introduce myself, my name is Anthony, I'm a professional who requires a semi-pro wireless network in my home. So I turned to Cisco for its robustness.

I first made the purchase of an AP1815i a few months ago with an on-board Mobility Express controller (that's what actually seduced me). I'm pretty happy with that. I then wanted to extend the reach of my wireless network, and so I purchased another access point from the Aironet family, an AP1832i.

This AP1832i is NOT equipped with Mobility Express. 

I point out that my LAN is basic, there are no VLANS other than the default.

My APs are connected on a Switch NetGear PROSAFE GS110TP with its factory settings, itself connected on a BBox giving me access to the internet and supporting the DHCP server function.

the 1815i is configured in a basic way, without a DHCP server. He gets his address from the BBOx and I have good access to my LAN and Internet, I have good access to its configuration via the Mobility Express web page embedded in the AP

the 1832i, factory settings, connected to the above switch, is well powered, initiates its boot, then searches for a controller... unfortunately, he does not find

I expected him to find the controller embedded in the AP1815i so that life is beautiful and easy, but that's not the case.

The Mobility Express version of my AP1815i is 8.5.xxx, I will already try an upgrade tonight.

Being really new and novice, seeing can be a layman, so I make a call to the community.

Thank you in advance!

Antho

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello,

i was going to update the post.

i finally got there.

i configured a tftp server with a directory containing the latest version of the ME for the 1815i, i set the 1815i to point to the tftp server in the update page.

I upgraded the 1815i without too many major problems, when updated, I plugged it into putty via the console port to debug CAPWAP packages, I connected the 1832i in the same VLan on the switch.

once the 1832i was connected and started, the 1815i controller started receiving the 1832i CAPWAP packages, the 1832i, through the tftp server, and then started to reboot and register in my 1815i controller

thank you for your help.

Anthony

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Could be incompatible versions of code on the APs.

What is the exact version of code on your ME 1815i?
What version of code is installed on the 1832i?
Attach your console cable to the 1832 and capture all the output from power on and share here for analysis?

Are you aware that you need a TFTP server to provide the correct software for the new AP and that TFTP server details need to be configured on your ME AP which directs the new AP to download the software from the TFTP server?

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello,

i was going to update the post.

i finally got there.

i configured a tftp server with a directory containing the latest version of the ME for the 1815i, i set the 1815i to point to the tftp server in the update page.

I upgraded the 1815i without too many major problems, when updated, I plugged it into putty via the console port to debug CAPWAP packages, I connected the 1832i in the same VLan on the switch.

once the 1832i was connected and started, the 1815i controller started receiving the 1832i CAPWAP packages, the 1832i, through the tftp server, and then started to reboot and register in my 1815i controller

thank you for your help.

Anthony

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you @Antho for your message!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card