cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Express AVC Drops Wireless to Wireless Traffic After Roam

swamplynx
Level 1
Level 1

It took me a VERY long time to narrow down this bug and I've confirmed it exists in 8.5.161, 8.8.130, 8.10.121, so I want to confirm it isn't a configuration issue.

Environment

Confirmed in both a production and lab environment. Vanilla Mobility Express deployment with 4 APs (2x 1852, 2x 1815). Basic L2 switch used in lab environment to confirm no VLAN or other backhaul issues. AVC under ME is basically the same as Flexconnect AVC with Local Switching, the controller just lives on the AP.

Symptoms and Issue

When AVC is enabled (even with no rules) traffic between wireless clients on separate APs is sporadicly dropped/blocked after a roam. There is no recovery even after disconnecting the client. Restarting the AP temporarily resolves the issue, but it occurs again after a roam. Traffic to other wireless clients on the same AP is not affected. Traffic to wired clients is not affected. Only traffic to other wireless clients on other APs. I originally noticed this with the Sonos iOS application on one AP attempting to communicate to a Sonos device on another AP. This drove me down an entire multicast rabbit hole, but latter confirmed the issue exist with unicast traffic, including ping. I narrowed it down to AVC by wiping the entire config, AP configs, and slowly rebuilding, testing along the way by sending pings while roaming across APs. At this point I've 100% confirmed that the issue is only present when AVC is enabled (even if there are no AVC rules) and can replicate it reliable by turning AVC on and off. P2P blocking is obviously disabled.

Thanks for the input and advice!

1 Reply 1

I would log a TAC case and see if you can get it to fix it through that. 

As you know, in ME mode AP acting as WLC and trying to do all those advanced features like a real WLC. So always you will face certain limitations when AP Act as WLC, cannot compare with a real WLC.

HTH

Rasika

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card