cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Express - WLAN Configuration - VLAN documentation

Boycee
Level 1
Level 1

Would appreciate if someone can point me to some documentation or explain the use case of the two separate VLAN ID entries on the "VLAN & Firewall" tab when creating a new WLAN through Mobility Express (on a 2802i running 8.10.151.0 specifically):

• Native VLAN ID (accepts a VLAN between 1 - 4094)

And then when "Use VLAN Tagging" is set to "Yes" it also exposes:

• VLAN ID (again accepts a VLAN between 1 - 4094)

The only documentation I can find seems to be for an older release which does not have the separate fields and simply states

"Use VLAN Tagging—The default is No. If Yes is selected, enter the VLAN ID. By enabling VLAN Tagging, the chosen VLAN ID is inserted into a packet header in order to identify which VLAN the packet belongs to. This enables the controller to use the VLAN ID to determine which VLAN to send a broadcast packet to, thereby providing traffic separation between VLANs. "

No mention of Native VLAN ID field in the text or picture.  Strangely it seems that although the field is shown on the per-WLAN configuration, it is actually a controller wide native VLAN? i.e not per-WLAN at all.  Assumption is this value is irrelevant once "Use VLAN Tagging" is selected?

We've also found that when reviewing configuration, "Use VLAN Tagging" is reverted to "No" although the "VLAN ID" field remains exposed and VLAN config seems to remain in action.  Hopefully just a GUI bug.

Additionally what is the purpose of the VLAN Name to VLAN Id mapping table shown under "VLAN ACL MAP" on the same page?  I believe it is AAA related, but cannot find anything to document it either.

1 Reply 1

pieterh
VIP
VIP

the native/untagged vlan setting refers to the interface connecting the uplink switch
and so there is only a single native/untagged vlan possible

the vlan name can be used in combination with dynamic vlan assignment using a AAA server (ACS, ISE, NPS)

here you can dynamically assign a vlan to an client by name or by number 
in some configurations you are limited to only use numbers, if this applies then keep "name" equal to number

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card