cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Move APs from one set of controllers to another all at one time?

JASON CHOQUETTE
Level 4
Level 4

We are migrating about 500+ access points from WiSMs to 5508 controllers.  Is there a way to go about changing the primary controller setting on all the access points on one of the WiSMs at one time, so we dont have to manual touch each access point?

I have checked the CLI and the setting is per AP, same with the GUI. is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends.

If you have the Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Controllers configured in a per-WAP basis, then this the ONLY way to go.  If you don't, then there's a GLOBAL way to do it.  Unfortunately, I don't have a WiSM at home so I can't tell you where it is.  I believe it's in the Wireless menu, first option to the left.

yes, I know what your refering too.  Its under Wireless>Global Configuration>High Availability.  And for us that is not set, we have set the primary and secondary on each AP.  So, your saying in that case we will have to change each AP one at a time?

The Global > High Availability will work if there's no settings for the High Availability for each WAP.  The individual settings will always take precedence over the Global configuration.  This is not a bug, this is a designed feature.

Ok, then you leave no other choice ... Can you DISABLE the Management IP Address of your WiSM?  When you do this, all WAPs will get "kicked out" of the WiSM and will automatically join the secondary WLC.

If you are going to do this, can you ensure all users have been warned?

yea, we got a 30 minute downtime set.  I figured we were stuck, its just going to take some time to move al those APs.

Thanks for claifying.

Make sure both WiSM and 5508 are running the same firmware. 

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are good with scripting or excel, you can capture the show ap summary and produce a command output to set the primary and secondary to each ap. then you just copy and paste the command into the WiSM CLI and your done. Takes about less than 20 seconds to paste everything. That's how I do it if you don't have WCS or NCS. But like Leo mentioned, it's faster if both WLC's are on the same code version, mobility group is the same, mobility is up and ap fallback is enabled. I usually test with one or two first I verify that everything works then I just go crazy:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card