Views
Helpful
Replies

MSE location problem in WCS map

smarchesi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've Installed a MSE context aware services   6.0.103 and WCS  6.0.196.0 plus loaction license in a Campus with 4 WLC  in 2 buildings, every buildings has 3 floor, i configure the WCS and associate the campus to MSE engine, I syncronize it with controllers and  It works, but only for the ground floor of the buildings, on the other floor there are many clients but they are not visible on WCS map, I can view associated clients only on the groundfloor maps, and  i check the properties of every floor but they are the same.

any ideas?

thanks

Regards

8 Replies 8

Federico Ziliotto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Are the groundfloors all covered by APs on the same controller(s) and maybe the other floors covered by APs on different controllers?
Or are the same controllers having APs on either the groundfloor and other floors?
I am asking this because we may be running into a situation where the MSE doesn't correctly communicate with the controllers managing APs (and clients) on the floors where you can't see anything.

Also, is the MSE license having still free slots, or is the license limit completely consumed by all the clients in the groundfloors?
This can be verified in WCS under

Services > Mobility Services > [your MSE] > Context Aware Service > Administration> Tracking Parameters

After these first checks, I'd also verify the following:

1. The client on a specific floor should show up on the WLC under

show client detail

2. The same client should show up on WCS through a search for its MAC address.
Is the WCS pointing you to a specific map location for this client?

3. In WCS, under Monitor > Maps, do you see a client count higher than zero for those floors where you can't display clients?

4. In the floor map view of WCS, could you please confirm that you checked the "Clients" box and that in its properties you also selected "Show All Clients"?
I understand these may sound like obvious steps, but I'd prefer not to neglect anything.

Regards,

Fede

--
If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Hello,

I try to answer point by point:

all the AP of the building are in the same Controller, so the controllers has Ap on either the groundfloor and other floors.

the license situation is ok  and comunications between MSE and controllers seem to be right.

the client Mac under WLC is reporting to a specific Map Location

in WCS I see a client count higher than zero for those floors

In the floor map view of WCS, I' ve  checked the "Clients" box but I'm unable to select "show all clients" and a message on the screen appears "there are no client on this floor. either you don't have any MSE which locate clients or none of MSE detected any client on this floor"

let me know if you need more information and possibly where I can find the right logs

Thanks for your time

Regards

Stefano

Hi Stefano,

As a very first check, I'd suggest to collect the following info:

1. From the WLC:

(Cisco Controller) >show auth-list

2. From the MSE:

# getserverinfo

and then

# cmdshell
cmd> show server-auth-info

This last command will show something like the following:

invoke command: com.aes.server.cli.CmdGetServerAuthInfo
----------------
Server Auth Info
----------------
MAC Address: 00:c0:9f:87:74:72
Key Hash: 34136e44c864142a72b15655b536207b99aee8f1
Certificate Type: SSC
cmd> exit

3. Are the info for the MSE (MAC address and LBS-SSC key hash) the same as in the WLC's auth-list?
If not, the WLC will fail to communicate properly with the MSE (even if it shows as synchronized) when it comes to tracking clients.

The solution would be to delete the LBS-SSC key hash entry from the WLC:

config auth-list delete
config auth-list add lbs-ssc

Where are taken from the cmdshell commands above.

If this wouldn't show any progress, some more advanced logs and debugs could be collected and analyzed through a standard TAC case:

http://tools.cisco.com/ServiceRequestTool/create/launch.do

Regards,

Fede

--
If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Thank you very much. You saved me big time. One thing to add, if its MSE use the following option on the controller to add the hash key

config auth-list add sha256-lbs-ssc <Mac address > <40bit Key>

Hi wiz

Were using mse 7.4.121 and wlc 8.0.120

we had a pop up message ... "mse: Internal error in MSE.  Error message: No results returned by the MSE!

You mean when you upgrade your WLC to 8.0.132 became ok?

Regards

This discussion was very helpful.  We had the same problem too.  Cisco has created a Bug ID for tracking the issue:  CSCuq50069 - SHA1 key cipher not working between WLC 80 and MSE 80 CCO versions.  The Bug appears to be resolved in 8.0.132.0 code, but no workaround was mentioned.  I was able to resolve the issue by SSH'ing to each of the MSE 3365's, logging in, issuing the show server-auth-info command and copying the output to a notepad file.  Once I had the MSE's mac address and the SHA2 hash, I SSH'ed to the WLC and from the CLI I entered this command:  config auth-list add sha256-lbs-ssc <Mac address > <40bit Key> and replaced the Mac address for that of the MSE and the 40bit Key with that of the SHA2 hash.  This resolved my issue.

Hi,

would like to ask what would be the effect of the command below?.

config auth-list delete 

Thank you.

Hi,

Please mark the Question as Answered if the provided information is correct and issue is fixed.

thanks,
Vinay

Thanks & Regards
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: