cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi-SSID Setup

spencermoore
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all. I"m trying to better understand multi-SSID and what better way to do that than to get my hands dirty! Unfortunately, I'm stuck and could use some assistance. I'm able to successfully connect to one SSID, the internal or corporate, but cannot get connected to guest SSID. I've attached my topology and Catalyst config, but here is what I've done thus far.

1. Created three new interfaces on the controller. One for management (10.52.x.x), one for guest (10.1.x.x) and the last for internal (10.65.x.x). All interfaces are using port 1 as the physical port and each have unique addresses (DHCP, Gateway etc) and vlan ID's assigned. 

2. Next, I created two SSIDs (guest and internal) and assigned them to the matching interfaces I created in the previous step. 

3. Configured and permitted all VLANs over the trunk links on the switch.

Please let me know if I've forgotten to add any pertinent information. 

6 Replies 6

Pls post "show wlan <wlan_ID> " output related to the guest WLAN.

HTH

Rasika

I've posted the output as "guest_config" in my attachment list. Thanks for your help.

AP connected port configured as Trunk fort (0/8)? That should be configured as access port.

If you configure vlan124 on your switch & connect a PC, do you get IP properly ?

From your show wlan x output, guest SSID configured with open authentication (no web auth ,etc) Is that correct ?

Rasika

I've changed FA 0/8 to an access port in the native vlan. I do obtain an IP address when directly connecting my PC to the switch. I'm leaving my guest SSID as open authentication since this is just a test environment. After making these changes, I still cannot connect to the guest SSID. My internal SSID works flawlessly. I temporarily disabled DHCP requirement on the guest SSID and configured a static address on my laptop and was able connect with no issue. Seems the problem lies with DHCP..

Turns out the issue was something with DHCP proxy mode. Disabled proxy, which I assume enables "bridged" mode and I was able to immediately get an IP.

When dhcp proxy is enabled the dhcp address you enter in the interface config on the Wlc is used. The WLC will unicast the dhcp request from that controller interface on behalf of the wireless client. When proxy is disabled tradional ip helpers on the SVI is used. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin