cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Group delay issue

kev_allamby
Level 1
Level 1

I recently setup a Voice WLAN for customer that are going to use Vocera badges on their network. The issue we are facing is when one of the Vocera badges initiates a call we can see the badge is joining the multicast group immediately but we are not seeing any immediate igmp joins from the clients. There is about a 45 secs to 1 minute delay before the client joins and we can hear audio. 

We are Cisco 5760 controller, 3702i access points, and 3850 catalyst switches. The controller is a centralized controller and not converged access mode. We tested in both the remote location and main site with result being the same as mentioned above. The 5760 is running software code 3.6.5. 

Hopefully I provided enough and is explain clearly but if any other info is needed I will be happy to provide. Hope someone can help or provide some guidance. Thanks!!!

5 Replies 5

Reach TAC and get their technical support. That would be the fastest way of getting what you looking for.

Many people may not have deployed this exact setup and using same application ( In our 5760 act simple MC for 3850 MA & no vocera).

Pls update us if you get this resolve via TAC support.

HTH

Rasika

Rasika,

This was a test installation with Vocera before they go live. When I am back onsite with customer I will open a case with them and let you know if it is resolve. 

Kevin

Hey Rasika,

We figured out the issue. The Vocera badges were sending igmp v3 join request but the 5760 uses igmp v2 (as default, you can configure igmp v3 under the interface). We had Vocera change the configuration for badges to use v2 only and everything is fine since. 

I am now trying to figure out in my lab why multicast does not work when I am using VLC player. It works from wireless to wired or wired. fun fun ... lol

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for keep us updated on this issue.

Hope you will get other matters resolve as well

HTH

Rasika

Hey Kevin -

We are running into the same issue with multicast delays using Vocera (v4.4.4).    Can I ask what version of Vocera you are running?   Is this a large Vocera installation?   Our delay issue comes up when there is a mix of Vocera badges and iPhones running the Vocera app included in the Vocera broadcast group.  We have no delay issue if the broadcast only has badges in the group.  

Thanks.

Doug

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card