cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicasting for Flexconnect mode

aravinda099
Level 1
Level 1

I have requirement to enable multicasting on wireless network.  AP s are on Flexconnect mode. Does Flexconnect mode be enabled for multicast traffic ? 

13 Replies 13

Hi 

Refer this doc

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12050896/multicast-support-different-wlc-platform-when-using-local-and-flexconnect-ap-mode

"Flexconnect mode AP can't join Multicast group address configured at WLC -> AP mode Multicast to Multicast. Since it is not joined to the Multicast group, it can't receive Multicast packet that are sent by WLC(and Multicast packet sent by flex central switching will be received by local mode APs only). If Multicast needs to be forwarded for flexconnect central switching then configure AP mode Multicast to Unicast. Remember, it is global config that's applicable for local mode AP also."

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Thanks. I did see that on website earlier. 

So just to be clear - Flexconnect does support multicast and it needs to be configured in Multicast to Unicast mode ? If so is it just enabling it on AP s or WLC ? 

I think the link I proivided published in April 2014 where FlexConnect video stream support was not  there on WLC codes at that time.

I can see WLC 8.0 support Video stream feature, so refer this config guide section

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-0/configuration-guide/b_cg80/b_cg80_chapter_010001000.html#d30053e2510a1635

NB: I haven't test this myself, so it is good if you can do some testing with WLC 8.0 code & see

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

This document refers enabling it for video streaming. My requirement is enabling multicasting for devices to be able to use mDNS and DNS-SD. Is this still valid for that ? 

Versions running on WLCs are 

vWLC is - 8.0.x

Anchor - 7.3.x

This document refers enabling it for video streaming. My requirement is enabling multicasting for devices to be able to use mDNS and DNS-SD. Is this still valid for that ? 

Video stream is a feature to give reliability to wireless multicast by converting it to unicast at the AP.

In your case you require mDNS service (not exactly multicast, but kind of link local multicast). Anyway that is not supported on FlexConnect AP in a local switched WLAN

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-0/configuration-guide/b_cg80/b_cg80_chapter_01011.html#reference_18F93527402844C8BA8A5FFAC607AA0D

I believe your WLAN is FlexConnect Local switching.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

So it means that Flexconnect support multicast only for video streaming ? And it works as converting the multicast packets to unicast at the AP when they receive them ? 

So Flexconnect does not support m-DNS at all ? Is this a Cisco feature that will be offered in future ? 

What is the best way to get m-DNS work with Fleconnect enabled ? If I am to swith to Local mode the whole WLAN needs to be re-designed. Plus I saw a feature in the WLC mDNS ... Is it just enabling that ?

The controller can send multicast packets in the form of unicast or multicast packets to the access point. In FlexConnect mode, the access point can receive multicast packets only in unicast form.

FlexConnect access points support a 1-1 network address translation (NAT) configuration. They also support port address translation (PAT) for all features except true multicast. Multicast is supported across NAT boundaries when configured using the Unicast option.

Please refer : http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-2/configuration/guide/cg/cg_flexconnect.html

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In release 8.0, FlexConnect can join CAPWAP multicast group. The controller should be set to Multicast - Multicast mode for both AP Multicast mode and IPv6 AP Multicast mode.

Note: FlexConnect mode APs will join IPv4 or IPv6 Multicast group if AP Multicast mode is configured as Multicast in release 8.0; however, there will be slight Data through-put degradation impact in the FlexConnect centrally switched scenario compared to AP Multicast mode configured as Unicast.

Note: Smart AP image upgrade does not work on the 7500 controllers when the Master AP is connected over CAPWAPv6.

The following IPv6 specific features are not supported in FlexConnect central switching mode:

Layer 3 Mobility

IPv6 VideoStream

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-0/IPV6_DG.html#pgfId-76826

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In release 8.0, FlexConnect can join CAPWAP multicast group. The controller should be set to Multicast - Multicast mode for both AP Multicast mode and IPv6 AP Multicast mode.

Note: FlexConnect mode APs will join IPv4 or IPv6 Multicast group if AP Multicast mode is configured as Multicast in release 8.0; however, there will be slight Data through-put degradation impact in the FlexConnect centrally switched scenario compared to AP Multicast mode configured as Unicast.

Note: Smart AP image upgrade does not work on the 7500 controllers when the Master AP is connected over CAPWAPv6.

The following IPv6 specific features are not supported in FlexConnect central switching mode:

Layer 3 Mobility

IPv6 VideoStream

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-0/IPV6_DG.html#pgfId-76826

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Layer 3 Mobility

IPv6 VideoStream

aravinda099
Level 1
Level 1

Working with TAC atm. So far small step towards an answer. Google chromecast does not work in an anchored SSID scenario. Looks like it has to be a non anchored SSID. Will post more once testing is completed.

aravinda099
Level 1
Level 1

I have managed to get this working !!! With the help from Cisco TAC managed get the Google Chromecast working. 

It does not require multicasting enabled on wireless or wired network. 

Requriements are the SSID to be non Anchored and Chromecast devices to be able to communicate to the interenet.

Hope this will help someone in future... 

Great , thank you for sharing the solution to everyone.

Please mark this issue as answered/corrected.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card