Helpful
Replies

Multiple APs in small area

stheriault99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a WLC 4400 with multiple LAP.

I have a small area with 30 wireless devices. I want to install 2 APs, to make sure that all wireless devices have a connection to the wireless network and have proper bandwidth. The issue is that the APs will be near each other. Will the APs interfere with each other and will each AP receive an equal amount of connections?

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can have multiple APs as long as they are on different channels. Now the client still decides which Ap it will associate to, so you have no control over that. I would place the APs on opposite sides though.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

manjeets
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

As per my research and discussion, I have came to know that if you are  using Access point 2600 series,

A single 2600 series Access point can support 24 clients. So you need to  use 2 Aps for that. Now the client still decides that which Ap it will  associate to, so you have no control over that.SO it will be better that  place the APs on opposite sides though.

Regards

maldehne
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Having the APs next to each other will cause your client to roam in crazy way, so simply there is no guarenetee that client connection will be stable even if your APs are on different channels given the fact that client are always probing for better signal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Don't Forget to rate correct answers and flag thread as answered if everything is fine

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card