cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple ME Controllers on same same subnet

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

Taking over a deployment which has 2 buildings (physically separate but connected via fiber and the same vlans are in use in both buildings).  Each building has more than adequate coverage w/ a single AP.  A new AP was added in the 2nd building today so I configured that AP and the management interface on the wireless mgmt vlan and configured it and confirmed it was working.  When i was finally able to get access to the original AP (in building 1), which was working w/ connected users, I realized it has the same management ip as the 1 I had just setup but the AP was on the data vlan as the switchport it's connected to is misconfigured.  I plan on fixing the switch configuration after hours and I'll re-ip either of the 2 controllers, but my concern whether there would be any issues if they see each other on the same vlan.  I can make a new wireless mgmt vlan for the 2nd building if required and get it reconfigured if that would be a better approach.  

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The guide for these is that there are no other controllers on the same subnet. If you are spanning the vlan across, ymwhy not just have one master an age all the aps? However, why would you want to span the vlan across since they are physically separated, unless they are near each other like in a campus for example.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

@Scott Fella Thanks for the reply.  The buildings are part of the same facility, just 1 is across a parking lot from the other.  If i factory default the new access point I should be able to have it see the old controller once I upgrade the firmware on that controller to match so I'll give that a try.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card