Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

N+1 or 1+1 with client SSO

I have to solve an issue with redundancy and i was wondering which option would require me less gear for redundancy?  would it be N+1 or 1+1 with SSO?

Would anyone have come across similar like issue?

4 Replies 4

Hi

N+1 requires less gear. But I think this is not the correct approach.

Both method provide redundancy however they are pretty much different in terms of efficiency.

N+1 HA does not protect  your network from downtime. When the primary wlc goes down, all AP will reboot and the process of join in the backup wlc will take a minute or so.

SSO in the other hands is totally transparent to the end user. It is truly redundancy.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

biaacer2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
SSO: 2 WLCs
1+1: 2 WLCs
N+1: >2WLCs

SSO is the preferred option, since you only need an SKU license on the redundant unit.

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

my 2 cent.......

If you have 2504 WLCs then it will support  only HA N+1 not AP/Client SSO.

5508 supports both but best would to go with SSO.

Here are guide for both:

1. For N+1: 

https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/n1-high-availability-configuration-on-cisco-2504wlc/

2. For SSO: 

https://networkguy.de/?p=558

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hi.
I disagree that HA is better than N+1.

Sure if one controller goes down the AP's need to reboot and join a backup controller, although for installing newer software versions I think its easier to do first in the backup WLC, failover one test AP to the newer upgraded controller and do the necessary test before, failover the AP's during the night via Cisco Prime job, and in the next morning do the same upgrade on the second controller.

In HA mode, as we configure just 'one' controller, the upgrade need to occur after working hours, that in some cases include weekends, or during the night via automatic scheduled task. and in this case there will be an outage.

If everybody is saying that HA is better I would like to see your point of view.
Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card