Helpful
Replies

Nearest APs are not the actual Nearest APs

aaron_tang
Level 1
Level 1

63644038-3C31-4E03-8EF3-6CE32F7F45C2.png

Hi all,

Does anyone notice the “Nearest APs” information on Monitor Summary.As the picture shown above, actually we got some better Aps for this client which can provide better Signal Strength.But they are not in the list of “Nearest Aps” . Is there any idea to fix this problem?

Thanks and regards

Aaron

5 Replies 5

Hi,

in capture you can see 3 APs as a nearest AP and connected to AP31. device selects lowest dBm for connection. all nearest APs are having dBm level starting from -68. but connected AP have -62 which is best for given location. so device connected to perfect AP at the moment.

*** Pls rate and mark solved all useful responses ***
Good Luck
Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Hi Kasun,

Thank you for your response.

Yes.This client is associating with the best AP now.But we got some APs (Like AP-L2-30,when we shutdown the AP-L2-31,this client will connect to AP-L2-30.And the signal Strength shows -66dbm)which closer to this client than the 3 nearest APs (AP-L2-4,AP-L2-32,AP-L2-32)in the capture.But WLC haven’t put them in the nearest APs.

Thanks and regards 

It is OK :) normally you can configure mobility level in WLC. default is -80. as per your explanation. client have -66 and that is more ok for communication. so WLC will keep client till client getting in to low coverage area and WLC will force to connect with lowest dBm AP at given point.

*** Pls rate and mark solved all useful responses ***
Good Luck
Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Hello,

I think that what aaron_tang is saying is that the controller web interface does not show the best information it has. Because, it seems it is showing on the "Nearest APs" section the first 3 APs of the list of near APs it has. But if checked through the WLC CLI interface at the same time, the controller shows the complete Nearby AP Statistics, where another AP has better signal for that client.

I have an example showing that.

Near APs from GUI.pngNear APs from CLI.png

As you can see, the best signal on Slot 0 (802.11bn band) is STRAP18 with -61 dBm.

While the best signal on Slot 1 (802.11an band) is STRAP35 with -63 dBm.

Regards.

vn_huydq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Regarding wireless signal, I just setup AP 2802e with 4 antennas x 2dbi.

After that I used Wifi analyzer app to check the signal. But it's always from -60 -> -70dbm

My question: is it normal or abnormal? Although I stand next to the AP (~2m)

Could you pls share your experience?

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card