cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need ballpark range estimate

Nathan Spitzer
Level 1
Level 1

I have been tasked with getting an estimate for deploying wireless in a to-be-renovated space and I would just like a sanity-check WAG/best guess as to how many AP's to deploy.

The new space is 85,000 square feet and will be a standard Dilbert "cube farm" with a few enclosed conference rooms. There are no elevator banks or other big, hard, obstructions in the space. In the initial design there will be a coffee-bar/break-room type area in the very center so thats where you will find refridgerators, microwaves, etc. Its dimensions are roughly square about 290 feet a side.  Pulling a number out of my head (and off a Cisco document), if I were to say I wanted at least 48Mb/s connection speed on the 5Ghz band, how many 3502i Ap's would be reasonable? Based on a Cisco document I would guestimate I could get that from placing them about 75 feet apart to allow for overlap and from that derive that I want 16 AP's, each about 75 feet apart. Does that sound reasanable as a budgetary WAG where I cannot do a site survey?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Having deployed a great deal of WiFi over the years. The process to budget is pretty simple.

Data - sq feet / 6,500

Voice -  sq feet / 2,500

These are conservative numbers.

I hope this helps

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

poking around I come up with

Data -sq feet / 5000 17 AP total

Voice - sq feet / 3500 25 AP total.

These are just estimates and should not be taken for truth.

HTH,
Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the quesiton as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Nathan Spitzer
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys, so it looks like my estimate of 16 is in the right ballpark.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card