Views
Helpful
Replies

Need information about HREAP feature

Puneet Gupta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have single WLC in our netowk and all access points are working in HREAP mode.These access points and WLC are in same office.

Also we are using vlan 10 , 20 for corporate users that are mapped with CORP1 and CORP2 SSID respectively.

Now client wants to connet one remote office with wireless infra using the same vlan ID at theire remote office core switches.Now my question is ,do i need to craete the interfaces in WLC for remote office as well ?

If no , then it will be easy for me to depoly the things.

But if yes, then how can i use the same vlan ID for different subent ?

Question : does SSID takes the vlan identifier mentioned in WLC interface configuration ?

Thanks

Puneet

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Punnet,

In the scenario you have, you are looking to have your clients at said remote office when connecting to SSID CRP pull an ip address from local vlan at remote office core.

Answer to your question:

- Yes it can be done, you can have clients pull an ip address from remote site core vlan say for eg. vlan 30.

- You dont need to create dynamic interfaces on wlc for this purpose.

Sample acenario:

(WAP)------------(RemoteCore)----------((WAN))-------------------(WLC-HQ)

lets assume we want clients connecting to remote site WAP pull an ip from vlan 30 defined for this purpose.

Configuration requirements:

- For WAP switchport configuration: It should be trunk allowing vlan 30 in addition to the vlan that WAP has an ip from. (I assume vlan 1)

- On WLC:

- Select this WAP from the WAPs diplayed under wireless section, go to HREAP/Flexconnect, define native vlan to be vlan 1 and apply.

- Click on Vlan markings, add the WLAN CRP and map it to vlan 30 or the vlan that you want clients to pull an ip from, and it should work just fine.

- WLAN CRP under advanced section should be enabled for local switching, which i think it already is.

(This would ideally be Central authentication, Local Switching mode)

I hope this helps..

View solution in original post

Puneet

Yes it will take the the ip from vlan 30 at local site with 40.x range.

In case of Hreap/Flexconnect you have the integration/distribution service catered by that particular WAP which is in Hreap.

- Once the client has been returned access accept or in other words qualifies the authentication employed for said wlan, wlc should return the vlan mapping for that client (as defined in vlan mappings>>Hreap tab on wlc) being served on that particular wlan broadcasted via that Hreap.

And this WAP should place that vlan id i.e 30 while encapsulating and bridging over to wired that is an 802.3 frame.

- In ip learning state the clients dhcp broadcast should be answered by the relevant layer 3 interface for vlan 30 and get a dhcp offer for your client.

- Now on your remote site since vlan 30 has 40.x subnet assigned to it, only the relevant 40.x address can be leased via that site.

I hope this helps..

Hi Puneet,

You are welcome..

For clear understanding you can envision it like this,

Dynamic interface ----- Vlan definition on WLC

- You can have a dynamic interface, eventually that would mean a vlan per wlan/ssid or you can also map multiple wlan/ssid to a single interface.

- But no wlan can be mapped to two dynamic interfaces( there is one feature which makes two vlans layer 3 subnets available for a single wlan but that is other thing, Interface Groups).

- On all the local mode APs for any wlan the dynamic interface you have mapped it to will be used.

- For any Hreap AP, the vlan mapping you have employed (inside vlan mappings>>Hreap) for any particular wlan serviced by that lap will be used.

(irrespective of what is the dynamic interface mapping for that wlan on wlc).

Regards

Sahil

8 Replies 8

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have a wlc at the office where your aps are doing HREAP mode.. Why are you doing HREAP ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi

Actually we are sing our CRP SSID in HRAEP mode.We have more than 20 remote offices there we have deployed access points which are working fine with HREAP and having a different vlan ID.

But at one site, vlan ID is same that we are using at other site but subents are different for both locations.

My question is that , when access point are working in HRAEP mode , will they take the vlan ID(TAG VLAN ID) that is assoicated with WLAN  from the controller or will it take the vlan ID and subnet that is configured on the contrlloer interface.

Hi Punnet,

In the scenario you have, you are looking to have your clients at said remote office when connecting to SSID CRP pull an ip address from local vlan at remote office core.

Answer to your question:

- Yes it can be done, you can have clients pull an ip address from remote site core vlan say for eg. vlan 30.

- You dont need to create dynamic interfaces on wlc for this purpose.

Sample acenario:

(WAP)------------(RemoteCore)----------((WAN))-------------------(WLC-HQ)

lets assume we want clients connecting to remote site WAP pull an ip from vlan 30 defined for this purpose.

Configuration requirements:

- For WAP switchport configuration: It should be trunk allowing vlan 30 in addition to the vlan that WAP has an ip from. (I assume vlan 1)

- On WLC:

- Select this WAP from the WAPs diplayed under wireless section, go to HREAP/Flexconnect, define native vlan to be vlan 1 and apply.

- Click on Vlan markings, add the WLAN CRP and map it to vlan 30 or the vlan that you want clients to pull an ip from, and it should work just fine.

- WLAN CRP under advanced section should be enabled for local switching, which i think it already is.

(This would ideally be Central authentication, Local Switching mode)

I hope this helps..

Hi Sahil

This has cleared my doubt however i need to understand that ..

lets suppose vlan 30(Dynamic interface IP-30.30.30.1) is already is in use for my branch office which is also running in HREAP mode. and i am using the same vlan ID 30 (40.40.40.1) for my remote office .So client at remote office will pick the 40 range IP.

Could you please help me in understand the flow ,how it is happening because WLC doesn't know anyting about 40.40.40.0 subnet ?

Puneet

Yes it will take the the ip from vlan 30 at local site with 40.x range.

In case of Hreap/Flexconnect you have the integration/distribution service catered by that particular WAP which is in Hreap.

- Once the client has been returned access accept or in other words qualifies the authentication employed for said wlan, wlc should return the vlan mapping for that client (as defined in vlan mappings>>Hreap tab on wlc) being served on that particular wlan broadcasted via that Hreap.

And this WAP should place that vlan id i.e 30 while encapsulating and bridging over to wired that is an 802.3 frame.

- In ip learning state the clients dhcp broadcast should be answered by the relevant layer 3 interface for vlan 30 and get a dhcp offer for your client.

- Now on your remote site since vlan 30 has 40.x subnet assigned to it, only the relevant 40.x address can be leased via that site.

I hope this helps..

Certainly

Thanks a lot Bro..I understand the flow now.So i need to create only one dynamic interface for all my 20 locations.

And also ,for one SSID only one dymanic interface is required in WLC whether that SSID in local or in HREAP mode?

Hi Puneet,

You are welcome..

For clear understanding you can envision it like this,

Dynamic interface ----- Vlan definition on WLC

- You can have a dynamic interface, eventually that would mean a vlan per wlan/ssid or you can also map multiple wlan/ssid to a single interface.

- But no wlan can be mapped to two dynamic interfaces( there is one feature which makes two vlans layer 3 subnets available for a single wlan but that is other thing, Interface Groups).

- On all the local mode APs for any wlan the dynamic interface you have mapped it to will be used.

- For any Hreap AP, the vlan mapping you have employed (inside vlan mappings>>Hreap) for any particular wlan serviced by that lap will be used.

(irrespective of what is the dynamic interface mapping for that wlan on wlc).

Regards

Sahil

Thanks Sahil...for helping me to better understand the HREAP

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card