cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need IPSU

guydestefano
Level 1
Level 1

Just purchased new, AIR AP1231G A K9. Cannot set up the IP address thru telnet. Book says to download from Cisco.com the program IPSU. When I locate the software link for the AP, I fill in all required download information. Receive an error message that states I don't have cookies set. I have never had any problems with any other sites at all. I turned off all security and privacy settings relating to cookies, tried for hours, could not get passed the error message. Can you tell me how I can get the program IPSU, I have the AIR CB21AG A K9 that I want to have working. I am an individual, not a network or corporate person. Please help. The instructions say once the browser is up, I can set all required items. Thanks in advance. Guy

guydestefano@earthlink.net

10 Replies 10

4t-baron
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just console into the unit. Connect a cable to the console port on the AP and your rs232 port on your laptop.

Thank you for your reply. I have just done that, After config T, I user the IP addr, and have set it to the machine address I wanted 192.168.1.4, the sh run show, displayed Ip as this, I then quit telnet, closed out, and tried to go to my IE browser. I typed in 192.168.1.4 I get an error message that that page could not be found, have tried this for hours, I really think I need the IPSU, there are other things to set up, SSID, etc... I am not a networking person, I can't find on the cisco web page any list of which instructions to use to change which option. On the setup page on-line it just states the three steps to change the address, and that did work for me. Where do I go now. Thanks again for your help.

I assume that you have not changed the enable password. Please do the followings:

1. telnet to the AP

2. enter "enable" and enter "Cisco" as password (assuming that you have not changed the enable password. If you have, please enter the password)

3. enter "show run" and post the output to the alias.

As you can only configure IP address on the BVI interface, I would like to verify that you did not incorrectly configure the AP.

If you want to configure an IP address of the AP, please do the followings in the telnet session (i.e. continue from 3)

4. config t

5. interface bvi1

6. ip address 192.168.1.4 255.255.255.0 (please substitute the subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to whatever you want)

The AP should come with a quick reference guide.

Please let me know if you have problem. I can show you how to restore the default configuration.

dixho Thank you, Thank you, very much. I have been trying for days to get this working. I have just followed your detailed instructions, and was able to set it the first try. I was using IPSU, and it always gave a message that either stated device does not answer or does not answer for set up. Also don't know where I failed, but could not telnet either. Now it is up and is working super. Thank you again. I have just one more question please. I am still set for tsumani, I want to change this and also set up some kind of security for the wireless. I have a PIX 501, but I think I need WEP and SSID. I have searched the cisco web pages, and want to know if I set both the cb21A and the cb1231 to be the same name and SSID, is there anything else I need to be aware of. Thanks Guy

dixho Laptop is receiving fantastic connectivity. At multiple locations. Two questions Please. I can change the SSID & WEP key in the ( CB21AG - Laptop Card ), as it is a program interface. I have searched, but cannot find the commands to change thru telnet the WEP key and the SSID for the AP 1231. The small manual that comes with the AP 1231 does not list instructions. I can telnet and do config t, but haven't found the format and the words to change the two items. I will keep trying. Also after changes are made, is a save implicit. I just did an Exit, will this save any changes made.

Thanks again. Guy

I have searched, but cannot find the commands to change thru telnet the WEP key and the SSID for the AP 1231.

Answer: I suggest you not to use telnet after you configure an IP address on the AP. I suggest you to http to the AP. If you use the latest software (i.e. 12.3(2)JA or 12.3(2)JA1), there is an item called "EXPRESS SECURITY". You should able to set up the SSID and Static WEP Key(s) there. If not, please click on "SECURITY" in the main page. Then, click on "Encryption". Select "WEP" as "Mandatory" and enter the WEP Key there. Then, click on "SSID Manager" under "SECURITY" You can delete, create, and modify SSID there.

The small manual that comes with the AP 1231 does not list instructions.

Answer: We only send out "Quick Reference Guide". If you want to learn all the features of Cisco AP1200, please go to the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/wireless/ps458/products_configuration_guide_book09186a0080104916.html

I just did an Exit, will this save any changes made.

Answer: No. You need to enter "write mem" in order to save the configuration. Any configuration changes by http interface is saved automatically.

dixho ----- I have tried to acces the html page that you have listed for me, but as you can see, I received the following error message. I have a Cisco forums login name and password, but it won't accept that. I purchased the AP new at approx $500.00, does the following message mean that because I have not purchased a maintenance contract yet, that I can not do any modification to make the Cisco product work, ( it works, but I can not change SSID or WEP ). I do want to learn all the features of the AP,, Please help. Thanks Guy

Authentication Required/Forgotten Password

Message #401: Authorization Required/Forgotten Password

The page you are trying to access requires a

Cisco.com login and password. You have reached this page because you have either entered an invalid name/password combination or you have forgotten your password. Please see the information below regarding Cisco.com registration.

The password is "Cisco" (Cap 'C')

I think the reference to the Cisco.com site was when it tried to access the help file (which, by default, is a URL to the Cisco site).

You absolutely do not need a CCO account to config your AP.

Good Luck

Scott

ScottMac; Hi, thanks for the reply. The link below is the one that dixho has sent to me, in the above reply message. The error I recieve is the one in which I try to access that link. Do you have any suggestions for me to try. I have tried x times, close IE & reopen etc.., no luck. I would like to see the commands to change the AP WEP & SSID thru telnet. Thanks again.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/wireless/ps458/products_configuration_guide_book09186a0080104916.html

Are you now able to get the HTTP screens up on the AP (bring up IE and aim it at the IP address of the AP)?

Starting with the web interface will allow you to get it configured quickly, then do some "sh run" commands to see what syntax has changed in the CLI.

There is a command reference guide available, but thee are no real examples in it ... just a straight-up command reference ...

Here's an example cut from my AP. Basially just telnet in, enable, int dot11radio 0, then put in the cipher (wep 128), and the SSID key ... remember you can hit the question mark as ou go to get the next list of options for each command.

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

encryption mode ciphers wep

encryption key 1 size 128bit 0

!

!

!

ssid ScottsCisco1200

authentication open

Try the Web interface first, get used to your options, then you can get wicked with the CLI.

I had to do a quick hack & slash for the above, but I'm pretty sure it's good.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card