cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

new Aironet 600 AP vs 1140 AP

Eric.Wang
Level 1
Level 1

what is the difference betw two AP models? both work in dual band and work with WLC

they even look the same...

32 Replies 32

Can you rephrase your question ?

it has nothing to do with applications.

I meant to ask:

what are the cool things that I can do with AP 600 (tunnelning wired laptop to WLC) in an enterprise network?

Well it avoids the need to VPN in the company. It gives you the same access as the wireless clients will have behind the HREAP AP but without the need to be wireless. The possibility to be wired means you can plug a desk phone.

I have been trying to find out more about this remote lan port myself.  Does this port have any kind of authentication associated to it?  Does it need any kind of special configuration on either the AP or the WLC or does anything connecting to that port appear as wireless traffic?)

What if (as I do) I have 3 SSIDs published to my Office Extend APs?  What will the wired traffic look like?

Paul

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_wlan.html#wp1518690

The number of SSIDs has nothing to do in the story. Remote LAN is just about the AP encapsulating the traffic on its lan ports inside the capwap tunnel as capwap data traffic for the traffic to be released on the central site.

Well you say that as if it is

a) Obvious

b) Easy to deal with

However, assuming the traffic is tunnelled back to the WLC, what happens to the traffic then?  What interface does it egress out of the WLC on?  And can I control this?  Or is it just going to exit the WLC on the native VLAN and get shoved down the trunk port, in which case it isn't much use to me - I need ot be able to control where that traffic appears on my network.

Incidentally, I notice this feature is stunningly documented in the usual Cisco style in the documentation!  ie it mentions the existnace of a remote LAN port and nothing more.

Paul

Apologies, I didn't notice your link in the you last reply - I will take a look, but in the mean time any additional information greatly received.

Paul

LOL.

It's not obvious nor easy to deal with. To tell the truth, I couldn't play with it yet. I was giving the doc link ( in case you didn't notice that a new config guide was available for the 7.0.116) and was answering the part of the question that I can answer.

I also agree that the config guide is not very talkative ... I'll try to check it further.

OK, so I have had a look and realised I need the latest release of code which I now have.  The setup seem a little odd, defaulting to mac filtering and I think web authentication and 802.1x control can only be performed via cli.

I'm lost in a spiral of thought about how best to control that port.  802.1x seems logical, but would mean additional configuration for the hard wired clients I have in mind (we currently provide ASA5505s to some remote workers using wired IP phones which don't have port security and therefore anyone in possession on the ASA box gets access to our network, although this is via our heavily firewalled VPN).  So then I start to think about having open access, which seems daft, it only needs the child of a remote worker to patch into port 4 and we might have a problem!  So then I am onto Web Auth, but this isn't going to work with the IP Phones, unless of course I use mac filtering.     Then again, I could simply allow IP Phone proxying through our ASAs now anyway.  Arrgggggghhhh - Damn you Cisco!

I think this is going to take some inner contemplation.......  Unless someone has an excellent idea?

Paul

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

For More information on OEAP-600, please watch the "Community Tech-Talk Series" Cisco Office Extend Access Point OEAP-600

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/wireless-mobility/begin-wireless/blog/2012/02/24/cisco-office-extend-access-point-oeap-600

Thanks,

Vinay Sharma

Community Manager - Wireless

Thanks & Regards

Hi Vinay,

but, what's the difference between a 600 AP and any other model configured as an H-REAP? Can't a H-REAP provide the same benefits as the 600 AP?

Kind Regards,

Enrique

1140 is enterprise class AP while 600 is for remote offices or employees.

600 AP has 4 ports to connect devices. 1140 has stronger 11n performance.

They're just not the same product and not for the same use.

ok, but apart from the differences on hardware, we could configure a 1140 AP as a H-REAP to be used by a teleworker and it would do the same job as 600, am I wrong?

both are access points and both can do HREAP, so yes from that perspective yes.

2 cars can drive you to the same place, but they will not be the same cars necessarily :-)

Yes, but it will be the same use, :-). it's just that I thought that the 600 AP was designed for employees that often travel, more like plug&play, but it doesn't even have a pocket size. I guess its benefit is that you can get a cheaper car but with a lower performance. Thanks for your quick responses Nicolas.

Regards,

Enrique

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card