cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Okay, stupid, basic GPS question on ISR829

S_Hendricks
Level 1
Level 1

I have activated the GPS stream on the 829 and can internally reverse telnet to it while in on the console.  However, connected to one of the Ethernet ports, I cannot create an active telnet (or other session type) to the port (2007 for TTY, though I tried 3007 for IP and no dice) when using Ethernet.

Doesn't it behave like a GPS server at this point?  Do I somehow need to connect TTY line 7 to GigE1-4 ports?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid, obvious question but NONE of the documentation actually addresses using the GPS (beyond the UDP discussion thread) on the Ethernet lines with the NMEA set to IP.

So, color me stupid or confused or just a dumb newbie, but help?

6 Replies 6

Shaun Hendricks
Level 1
Level 1
So, almost 140 views and nobody knows? Wow, didn't realize that GPS on these routers was either so unused or that I'm so stupid I can't figure it out. Probably the latter. Sorry for the interruption everyone.

You should post this on the router forum not the wireless forum.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for the response. I had chosen this forum because it was the one that the other GPS question got discussion under. It sorta made sense because GPS is a function of the Cellular Wireless feature of the router. I'll try this question over there. Thank you again for your response.

That piece would be more for the other forum. This is more for 802.11 wireless.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you. I have it on the other forum as you suggested. It seems to be getting more attention there. I appreciate your assistance.

Shaun Hendricks
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, the solution I wanted was NOT the one that was available, at least that anyone could help me with.  The one that actually worked (the TCSHL script didn't work for me) was this one by sburton011 from the NMEA over UDP thread:

"

Community Member

Just an update on this.

I am still struggling to get a working solution. The IR829 platform has a streaming parameter where I can send a directed UDP stream back to my GPS server. This works and the format is: Red being the line that created the stream.... (my source, destination and ports were different though)

controller Cellular 0
lte gps mode standalone
lte gps nmea ip udp 192.168.252.129 192.168.108.74 30176

"

The critical part of the configuration is in RED.  This add-on to the line give the host destination and port that the udp needs to go out of.  I have noticed that if you leave this stream live, it is a VERY busy communication and can interfere with other router activities.  sburton011 built a timeout wait event for the process but it's kind of clunky to just turn it on and off all the time.

I strongly recommend Cisco build in a form of WAIT TIMER into the exact same line as a reporting interval.  Something like 0 (Zero) being as fast as possible, but 1 (second) being default, perhaps settable up to a full byte value in seconds.

By the way, Cradlepoint has this feature built into their cellular routers and it's far easier to control and does have reporting intervals... all built in.  It doesn't seem to impact the other functions the router does either.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card