cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Over utilized APs

fast5658659
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys please have a look at the attached heatmap I have got two APs which are over utilized and the surrounding APs aren't connecting too many clients. Would you suggest the to relocate the surrounding APs around APs with 28 clients? if yes please suggest the location

alternatively can this be rectified by changing the Tx power of the surrounding APs?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

mohabdel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Could you please let me know how big your company?  there is any metal wall or any type of radio 2.4GHz can overlapping with your AP's ?  Also I like to know your AP model

Thanks,

Moh

Thanks Leo,

I can see two APs with 28 clients and one AP with 23 clients. Layout of the floor looks like a call-centre or a university ground. It's a office floor

Basically, it's the wireless client which makes the FINAL decision to join which AP they want.

Looking at the left AP, I can see the AP is in the middle of a classroom of some sort. You may want to disable low-speed data rates from 1 Mbps to 11 Mbps. Make 18 Mbps as Mandatory and the rest are Supported.Will that make any difference?

The right-hand AP looks like it is inadequate. There are three APs above this one and they look like they are meant to provide wireless coverage to three large classrooms. They are inadequate. You may need to add one (or a total of two) per classroom or lecture theatre or hall.

The AP on the right-hand with 28 clients is being "supported" by the AP to the left (2 clients) and above (5 clients). Judging from the heat map, it shows the 28 client AP is doing all the heavy lifting.

Correct not sure how to get the surrounding APs to share the load

Did you enable TPC and DCA on all the APs?

It's enable for all APs but I have fixed tx power of some of the APs near the heavy loaded APs to increase their coverage area. But that hasn't helped much

Should we add more APs or adjust the existing ones?

Hi Fast,

How many AP do you have?  Do you have wireless controller?  if there is no controller please add all APs in cluster mode. and this will resolve port of this issue.

Thanks,

Moh 

Hi mohabdel, we have 29 APs and have 5508 WLC

Fast, 

5508 controller datasheet 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/data_sheet_c78-521631.pdf

AIR-CT5508-12-K9      WLC up to 12 Cisco aps
AIR-CT5508-25-K9      WLC up to 25 Cisco aps
AIR-CT5508-50-K9      WLC up to 50 Cisco aps
AIR-CT5508-100-K9    WLC up to 100 Cisco aps
AIR-CT5508-250-K9    WLC up to 250 Cisco aps 
AIR-CT5508-500-K9    WLC up to 500 Cisco aps 
AIR-CT5508-500-2PK WLC up to 500 Cisco aps
AIR-CT5508-HA-K9     WLC for High Availability

make sure your company WLC model can support more then 29 APs.  Also I did search on CAP3502 it is support 35 wireless host at same time. Also make sure WLC channels are fixed for each AP.

Thanks,

Hi mohabde,

There isn't any metal thing near the ceiling. Our APs are all AIR-CAP3502I-Q-K9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I can see two APs with 28 clients and one AP with 23 clients.   Layout of the floor looks like a call-centre or a university ground.  

Basically, it's the wireless client which makes the FINAL decision to join which AP they want.  

Looking at the left AP, I can see the AP is in the middle of a classroom of some sort.  You may want to disable low-speed data rates from 1 Mbps to 11 Mbps.  Make 18 Mbps as Mandatory and the rest are Supported.  

The right-hand AP looks like it is inadequate.  There are three APs above this one and they look like they are meant to provide wireless coverage to three large classrooms.  They are inadequate.  You may need to add one (or a total of two) per classroom or lecture theatre or hall.  

The AP on the right-hand with 28 clients is being "supported" by the AP to the left (2 clients) and above (5 clients).   Judging from the heat map, it shows the 28 client AP is doing all the heavy lifting.  

Did you enable TPC and DCA on all the APs?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card