Views
Helpful
Replies

PoE Issues with C9300L-24P and C9200CX-12P

bgillies95
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have an issue with a customer's AP. It is a newly refreshed site with a mix of 9300L-24P and 9200CX-12P switches. At the moment, 3 of their APs are inconsistently powering up. These are brand new 9124AXE APs, the switches are brand new too. The symptom we are seeing is when an AP is plugged into a port on the switch, the AP is not detected by the switch and is therefore not powering on. Sometimes if we bounce the port a number of times it will eventually come up. In some cases we have left it for 30 minutes and then the AP powers on suddenly, however it may stop sending power after a few minutes or an hour. The best uptime we got from them was around 20+ days.

We organised an RMA for these 3 APs, and they have been installed. After replacement, we are still having the same issue. We got a 3rd party cabling team to perform end-to-end testing of the structured cabling (newly installed too - CAT6) and all tests were successful. Finally I managed to find a spare 9300L-24P switch and use that instead, however we have the same issue. The switch is currently running 17.6.4, however I have used 17.6.5 and 17.9.4 and all have the same issues. The best consistency we got with the APs, is when we ran an additional 40m patch on top of the structured cabling, bringing the total cable length to somewhere around 85-90 metres. After doing so, I could bounce the port 10 times in a row and the AP would come back up. Obviously this isn't a solution, but it does give some insight to the problem. I've tried literally everything from setting static power to 2-event mode and other PoE port settings. I got a 3rd party power injector and plugged it into the AP, which powers it on.

In a separate case at the same site, one of our 9124AXE APs does not power on the production C9200CX-12P switch as well as a new spare C9200CX-12P that we had. However, when I plug that same AP using the same cabling etc. into a C9300L-24P the AP comes up straight away.

Has anyone come across an issue like this???

15 Replies 15

eglinsky2012
Level 4
Level 4

FYI, consider the 9124 power input requirements (copied below from the datasheet). The switches you're using are only .3at/30W and not .3bt/60W. That is supposed to work, but it won't have full functionality as indicated. You may want to try a UPOE switch or 60W injector if you want full functionality and/or if you're still unable to get them to work with the suggestions others have provided.

My own experience with the previous 1560 series is, while they're supposed to work on .3at, sometimes they do not. Later, we found other documentation (or perhaps it was updated) that showed that the 1562i requires .3bt/60W, whereas the e and d models can get by with .3at/30W. Now, I just make sure any outdoor AP has .3bt/60W regardless.

Input power requirements

●  802.3af Power over Ethernet (PoE), 802.3at PoE+, 802.3bt PoE++, Cisco Universal PoE (Cisco UPOE)
●  Cisco power injector, AIR-PWRINJ-60RGD1= and AIR-PWRINJ-60RGD2=
●  Cisco power injector, AIR-PWRINJ6= (Note: This injector supports 802.3at)
●  DC power source: Auxiliary DC input, 24V to 56V

PoE

Radio 0 SS

Radio 1 SS

Radio 2 SS (C9124AXE)

MGIG

SFP

1G

POE O/P

.3af

Disabled

Disabled