cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pre-download 9800 image to AireOS AP

thewifidude
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to pre-download the 9800 IOS-XE image to a virtual WLC managed 2802/3802 AP before cutting them over to the new 9800-40 controller?

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it can be done. 

NOTE:  Below process can only be done on the 5520.

First, get a list of AP names:  "sh ap summary"

Next, the command combination are the following: 

debug ap enable <AP NAME>

If the AP is classic IOS (2700/3700 and older), the command is:  

debug ap command <AP NAME> "archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://<TFTP_IP_ADDRESS>/<FILENAME.TAR>"

If the AP is Cheetah OS (COS) (2800/3800/4800 and NEWER), the command is:  

debug ap command <AP NAME> "archive download-sw /no-reload tftp://<TFTP_IP_ADDRESS>/<FILENAME.TAR>"

So this would not work on a vWLC? Also, could I just go into each AP and download the tar file directly?

@thewifidude wrote:

So this would not work on a vWLC? Also, could I just go into each AP and download the tar file directly?

If the vWLC is AireOS, yes.

To be clear, the 9800 you are talking about is the 9800-CL or an appliance?  The process that @Leo Laohoo mentioned is to download the file to each access point that is joined to your 5520.  Now this would be something you need to test and make sure it works for you or not.  I don't know if doing this saves you anything depending on what else you need to change and the downtime you will be taking.  

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

@Scott Fella , this is for a vWLC to 9800-40 migration. I'm just trying to minimize the outage by pre-staging the image to the 2802/3802 based access points living on this virtual WLC. I will try this command in a bit to see if it works off the vWLC.

Well your initial post states 5520.  The vWLC is not a 5520, so that is where the confusion is.  Like I mentioned, its best to try your different approaches and decide what works the best for you.  

-Scott

Oh wow I'm sorry, you are correct. I will fix that. We have so many variety I got them mixed up.

No worries... it just gets confusing at times.  Let us know how your testing goes.

-Scott

Hey @Leo Laohoo might you know how I get the AP image tar file for a 9800 on the 2802/3802?

@thewifidude wrote:

how I get the AP image tar file for a 9800 on the 2802/3802?

Are you talking about Mobility Express firmware for the 2800/3800?

No, lightweight image to pre-stage a 2802/3802 for 9800-40 controller

@thewifidude wrote:

No, lightweight image to pre-stage a 2802/3802 for 9800-40 controller

What firmware is the 9800 running on?

First, go here:  Supported Access Points in Cisco Wireless Software Releases.  Pay close attention to the 1st column to determine what firmware the 9800 is running on.  Next, look immediately next (3rd column) to the corresponding IOS version level.  

The firmware for the 2800/3800 can be found HERE and download the corresponding TAR file.

For instance, let us say the 9800 is on 17.3.4c.  This means the AP should be running 15.3(3)JPJ7c.  This means the TAR file can be found HERE.

@Leo Laohoo  if I am using an extended support version of 17.3.4c, would the image be the same you referred to?

It is... take a look at the matrix so you can also validate that.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card