cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prevent Access Points from joining other WLCs

danibqb01
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of 5508-HA-SSO, when I need to restart both simultaneously (Active and Standby), the Access Points end up associating in other Wireless Controllers that we have on the network with other software versions. There are Mobility Groups configured between the WLCs.

Is there any configuration on the Wireless Controller that I can enable or disable to prevent this from happening? I want Access Points to wait for the 5508-HA-SSO pair to be available without having to be associated with other WLCs.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It’s not bad unless you have to manage a large list and having to deal with RMA’s or migration for example. You can always build a script or excel spreadsheet that you can import your show ap summary and then build your cli commands.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Well in that design, you should not have setup mobility or any dhcp option 43 or dns resolution that would make ap’s find another controller. What you can do is define aaa ap policy that only allows certain ap’s using their Mac address to join. This would mean you have to define all the Mac address to the appropriate controller. I think you need to clean up the mobility first and then look at how the ap’s might be discovering the other controllers.
-Scott

I have some SSIDs configured with mobility anchors.

The option of adding the APs mac-address in "AP Policies" for authorization I found interesting, perhaps for the design I have today, this would be the best solution.

It’s not bad unless you have to manage a large list and having to deal with RMA’s or migration for example. You can always build a script or excel spreadsheet that you can import your show ap summary and then build your cli commands.
-Scott

Thanks a lot for the help!

No problem.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card