cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prevent Inter-Subnet Roaming

stuart.pannell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, I look after a couple of WLC's for some schools and the problem that we have are that a few schools are next to each other. All Schools have the same WLAN's configured and are segregated by using AP Groups. This makes the user experience simple as they can go between schools using the same SSID and passwords in any of the schools. Now the problem is that each school has it's own vlan and associated subnet, this would be fine if all schools were a great distance apart though unfortunately some schools are less than a minutes walking distance and teachers will roam between them. Not normally a problem as the WLC's will handle the layer 3 roam you might think, well the problem is that in a bid to prevent teachers printing to the wrong devices a policy has been added to allow printing to printers that are only within the same IP range. So if a teacher in School A with IP address A.A.A.A walks over to school B instead of getting an IP of B.B.B.B they roam with A.A.A.A and then print to a printer within school A. Is there a way that we can prevent Inter-Subnet roaming? I have looked at association timeouts and user idle timeouts and then minimum these go to is 5 minutes.

1 Reply 1

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I think you'd need to break up the roaming between the buildings completely. I don't know of another way to break/disable L3 roaming.
See here for a good explanation: https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-and-mobility/l3-intra-controller-roam/td-p/1846759
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card