cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

preventing unwanted access points

Eric Lindsey
Level 1
Level 1

This is just a tip that we used on our controllers that I wanted to pass along. We were having issues with unwanted access points associating to our controllers. We had a stack of older 1242s that came up missing and hit our network. On way we came up with to prevent this was to number all of our wlans above I'd # 16 on the controller. By default the default ap group allows all wlans from 1 to 16. By starting with 17 we are not allowing any SSIDs in the default group. All if our production access points are in their own ap groups. Any access point that hits our controllers that has not been configured with the correct ap group name will be in the default ap group and will not be servicing any SSIDs.

I know there are other ways to set this up but this was a tricky way for us to set it up and see who calls about there wireless not working.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Eric,

There is another way if you have v7.3 or newer. In the RF Profile you can enable out of box which creates a new AP Group and places new APs in that group automatically. This will disable both radios which is a nice feature.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Eric,

There is another way if you have v7.3 or newer. In the RF Profile you can enable out of box which creates a new AP Group and places new APs in that group automatically. This will disable both radios which is a nice feature.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Eric Lindsey
Level 1
Level 1

We are upgrading to 7.3 in the next few weeks. I will definitely take a look at this. Thanks for the info.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
 On way we came up with to prevent this was to number all of our wlans above I'd # 16 on the controller.

Yup, we have this.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card