cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime 1.3 MAC Filter csv Format Question

Nicholas Hood
Level 1
Level 1

We have about 100 devices that need to be added to our mac filter. Before now, we just did one or two at a time. This is the first time we have such a bulk order to do at once.

I was taking a look at the sample .csv format and had a question before I started messing around with this.

1. Looking at the mac filter page where the other filters are we use the mac address as the Template Name. When looking at the sample csv format it calls for "Mac, Profile Name, Interface, Description". Is there a field I can add to use the mac address as the template name? I do not want to have to go back through all 100 and add the name in.

2. If under Interface, the choice will be none, do I just leave that blank or do I have to enter a value there? We currently are not applying an interface to these devices.

We are on Prime Infrastructure 1.3

Thanks for the help!

-Nick

24 Replies 24

Yes, if possible to be able to add a table in the .csv for template name would be great.

I don't think you can add a field before the MAC address. The MAC address is the template name. I haven't tried it but the template might fail to import if you try to add a value that doesn't exist.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Ok, I will play around with it tomorrow. I will let you know what I find. Thanks for all your help Scott!

Yeah I would lab it out, but my lab is in my sons room and he's sleeping:). No need for me to get in trouble. Hehe

-Scott

Ha, we wouldn't want you to get on troube now. Let me know if you find something out.

And thanks for all your help!

I can test in about an hour.

-Scott

Looking at Lifecycle Security>AAA>Mac Filter and the Classic Theme Security>Mac Filters they are identical, both with the Template Name.

So I went ahead and made a test .csv with just a couple of devices and imported it using the classic theme. In my setup it went ahead and used the mac address as the template name just as I wanted. I am going to go ahead and import the full list and see how it goes from there.

Thanks so very much for your help!

Okay... I thought you want the same template name for a group of mac address.  By default the mac address is the template name, so I guess that works for you.  Thanks for supporting the rating system and good luck with the templates!

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Yep, that is it. I am sorry I didn't explain it better. I had never wored with .csv files in Prime before so i was hesitant to import and apply before I knew what I was doing. Last thing I want is to mess up 200+ templates and 10,000 users. I always take the cautious road on production equipment. Be nice to have a lab so I could do this w/o worry on messing up production.

So in summary, When you create a template from .csv file it will automatically use the mac address without colons as the template name. Also, you can leave blank any fields you do not want to have filled in by using a double comma ,, in its place.

Thanks again for the help Scott.

Yup you are right about the template name... that is what I did was use the infor you had and put in the , so that I only enter the mac address and the description.

00:22:44:66:67:77,,,Usemacaddress01

00:44:44:44:44:44,,,Usemacaddress02

00:56:44:44:44:44,,,Usemacaddress03

00:88:00:22:93:EF,,,Usemacaddress04

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card