Replies

Prime tokens license

nikhilcherian
Level 5
Level 5

Hi All, 

I have couple of questions on the Cisco prime tokens

1. Is the grandfathered token only available for Assurance License
  2. My customer had procured some lifycycle license for NCS which I directly used in Prime 3.1( customer was not using it for 3 years). In case the grandfathered token is available for Lifecyle license, can I avail grandfathered tokens
  3. How many tokens are used for ASA

Thanks in advance

Regards

Nikhil

2 Replies 2

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

Nikhil,

From the 3.1.3 Release Notes: 

Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3 supports token-based licensing model for Lifecycle and Assurance licenses. The license consumption is based on token weight per device type. For example, if you add a ASR 1001 device having token weight 3, the Lifecycle license/tokens consumed for managing the device is 3.

Due to this token-based licensing, a Prime Infrastructure instance consumes more tokens than what were consumed before. To avoid this overhead to the existing customers, Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3 supports generation of a one-time grandfathered license file for managing the existing devices without the need to buy additional licenses. This special privilege is provided to the existing customers as a one-time activity upon installation of Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3 update.

• The grandfathered license file is a permanent license file and can be added/downloaded like other license files.
  • The grandfathered license file is encrypted and is not node locked.
  • The grandfathered Assurance tokens are valid only when 2.x Assurance permanent licenses are available.
  • A maximum of five grandfathered files can be added.

To Avail the Grandfathered License Support

• Ensure whether Traditional licensing is enabled.

Go to Administration > Licenses and Software Updates > Smart Software Licensing.

Choose Traditional Licensing.

Check whether the Register button is disabled to confirm the selection of Traditional Licensing.

• Ensure 2.x permanent licenses are added.

Limitations

• Only 20,000 grandfathered tokens can be generated per Prime Infrastructure instance.
  • Assurance tokens will be generated only when 2.x Assurance permanent licenses are added on a Prime Infrastructure instance before applying Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3.
  • The number of grandfathered Assurance tokens generated is same as the number of grandfathered Lifecycle tokens.

After installing Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3, you can check the token consumption per device type in the T raditional Licensing Dashlet under Administration > Dashboard > Licensing Dashboard.

Hi Friday, 

How can I ensure 2.x permanent licenses are added & how will get the grandfathered tokens

In my case as I said, the license was purchased for NCS & directly installed in Prime 3.1. I don't see any document which says I can get grandfather tokens for this 

Regards

Nikhil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card