Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with a Cisco AP and a Linksys Repeater

rponte
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Folks,

I have a problem with a Cisco 1830i AP with Mobility Express and a Linksys repeater. The problem is:

On the client side, we can't put another cisco AP, just a repeater and I bought a Linksys RE4000W.

The repeater is broadcasting the SSID, however, when a client connects to it, he loses connection to Internet and can not reach any other user on the LAN as well.

The repeater was previously added as a friendly rogue AP.

My question is: can a Cisco AP work with a third party repeater? How should it be configured?

thanks in advanced

18 Replies 18

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
First of all, this depends on your used authentication mode. If it's WPA2-PSK, you have chances. If it's WPA2-Enterprise, it's not possible.
If you use WPA2-PSK, just follow the normal installation manual of the repeater to create a new SSID on the repeater. Don't use the same SSID (is normally anyway blocked on the repeater).

I am using WPA2-PSK and I followed the normal installation manual of the repeater but I cannot create a new SSID I have to use the same, the repeater doesn't have an option to create a new one. 

And it doesn't give it a new name? Because that normally causes a lot of roaming issues (read: Roaming will not work), unless it has a working WDS, which would surprise me between two manufacturers.

No, it broadcast the same SSID but when I connected to the repeater I don't have internet access and cant ping the gateway.

I can deal with problems with roaming if the client has internet connection connected to the repeater. 

Can you test the following. Disable wifi on your laptop (or whatever you use for testing), go near the repeater and enable the wifi again. Does internet work now?

On the repeater, is the front LED glowing a constant green, or is it blinking?

Internet does not work.

the front LED IS glowing a constant green

Ok, then I suggest to reset the Linksys and try the setup again. If that doesn't help, try to contact Linksys.

Btw. I suggest you also verify the security settings on the Cisco AP, only enable WPA2-PSK with AES, make sure TKIP and WPA1 are disabled.

I already try it and checked it.

I see that the problem can be a compatibility problem because the repeater is associated and I can connect to the repeater, so, it does not seem like a security or authentication problem. 

Or the repeater is broken.

Does internet work if you attach a client to the LAN port of the repeater?

You could also try to disable Cisco Aironet Extensions if they are active on the Cisco AP, they could cause issues.

We are talking about a standalone Cisco AP here, right?

Also have a look here for the possible configuration of the Root AP (ignore the repeater part on this website):

https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/10/25/autonomous-ap-as-repeater-with-wpa2/

Or the repeater is broken.

It is not broken, i worked with a non Cisco AP.

Does internet work if you attach a client to the LAN port of the repeater?

No, it does not work.

You could also try to disable Cisco Aironet Extensions if they are active on the Cisco AP, they could cause issues.

I will try it.

We are talking about a standalone Cisco AP here, right?

No, it has mobility express, it cant be standalone 

I will try with that guide, thank you so much.

Ignore that guide if you use Mobility Express :)

That makes things a bit more complicated now.

There might be some protection features inside the ME functionality, which blocks the clients attached to the Repeater.

You can login via SSH to the ME AP and issue the command 'debug client xx:xx:xx:...' where xx:xx... is the MAC address of the client trying to associate. If you don't get anything on the console, replace the xx:xx... with the MAC Address of the repeater. Please post the output then here.

Honestly I'm not even sure if a non-Cisco AP is allowed/possible as a repeater.

There you have the outpost with the debug client "mac address client" and debug client "mac address repeater"

Thanks in advanced

Do you have DHCP_Required enabled on this SSID? (That setting is under advanced of the SSID)
Also, the signal strength of the device 96:10:3e:aa:ae:32 is extremely low, can you try to move it closer to the AP? Around -70db would be good:

*apfMsConnTask_0: Jan 25 11:33:30.996: 96:10:3e:aa:ae:32 Station: 96:10:3E:AA:AE:32 trying to join WLAN with RSSI -85. Checking for XOR roam conditions on AP: 70:F3:5A:55:36:20 Slot: 0

I made another test moving the repeater closer but still not working.

I don't know how to deactivate the DCHP_Required, remember that its a Mobility Express.

Thanks. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card