Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with a Cisco AP and a Linksys Repeater

rponte
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Folks,

I have a problem with a Cisco 1830i AP with Mobility Express and a Linksys repeater. The problem is:

On the client side, we can't put another cisco AP, just a repeater and I bought a Linksys RE4000W.

The repeater is broadcasting the SSID, however, when a client connects to it, he loses connection to Internet and can not reach any other user on the LAN as well.

The repeater was previously added as a friendly rogue AP.

My question is: can a Cisco AP work with a third party repeater? How should it be configured?

thanks in advanced

18 Replies 18

Ok, I think "DHCP Required" isn't available in ME anyway, so there is nothing to configure. I'm sadly out of ideas now as I don't have an ME access point here to test.

Depending on your budget/time, you might maybe want to buy a new small Cisco AP, like an 1815 model (CAPWAP variant). I'm not sure how many licenses are included on your ME model though, you need to check this first.

That way you'd have way more speed compared to the "old" repeater and also more control/security over your network. Honestly I'm no fan of repeaters, I had various kinds of problems with some of them in the past and stopped using them.

Understood, the problem is that i can not wire another AP on the site, so, i need another solution and my ap does not support Mesh either :(

Thank you anyway. 

I see :( The only next step that I can recommend is to open a support case with Cisco, a so called TAC.

Already did it. They didn't help me because the repeater is not a cisco product :( 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card