Views
Helpful
Replies

Question regarding AIR-CAP702W-A-K9 LAN ports

BryceKatz
Level 1
Level 1

Heya all. 

I work for a small private college. We recently extended the coverage in one of our Greek houses by moving the existing AIR-CAP2602I-A-K9 to the 3rd floor and adding a AIR-CAP702W-A-K9 on the ground floor. The 2602 is connected to LAN port 4 on the 702 (the POE port). 

I'm seeing both APs on our 5508 controller (software v8.2.141.0), are operating as lightweight APs, and I can manage both from my desk. Both APs are configured with 2 SSIDs. However, client connections to the 2602 are having intermittent issues with not receiving an IP address from our DHCP server. Each SSID is on its own VLAN with a separate IP segment. Client connections on the 2602 are having intermittent issues getting an IP address from our DHCP server, but client connections on the 702 (which has the direct connection back to a switch) are not.

I suspect that LAN port 4 on the 702 isn't trunking properly, but I'm having problems finding any specific documentation about the LAN port capabilities on an AIR-CAP702W-A-K9 AP. Attached is a screenshot of the relevant bits of the 702's Interfaces tab. LAN port 4 is enabled, but the VLAN check box is blank. I had assumed this meant it would act as a trunk. Checking the VLAN box requires entering a VLAN ID - but I need to pass 3 VLANs on this port: the native VLAN for the APs and the VLANs for the configured SSIDs on the 2602. 

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? I'm OK with running another cable from the connection point on the 702 back to the switch, but I really don't want to if I can simply configure the 702 properly. 

2 Replies 2

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
That sounds like you use them in FlexConnect mode?
If not (the typically recommended setup), then you only need an access port for the AP, no trunk. The vlan must be the same as the management interface on the WLC (or should).

Once a client is connected, is its connection stable?

Besides that, I recommend that upgrade to the latest 8.2 release, there were a lot of bugs fixed since.

brandon440
Level 1
Level 1

the 702w ports are access ports only, you need to connect the 2602i to a trunk port from your switch. Once connected you should automatically have client join and will pass traffic assuming your vlans are already set and the ap is in a grope were it can get those configurations.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card