cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Link Local Bridging" meaning

ppagliaro
Level 1
Level 1

I can't understand the use case of the WLC setting "Link Local Bridging", under CONTROLLER -> General.

I see it's disabled by default and the online help just says: "Enable to configure bridging of the link local traffic at local site".

The only reference I've found is in a 2018 CiscoLive presentation ("Cisco DNA Service for Bonjour", BRKCRS-2120, Barcelona), but there's actually no technical explanation.

In particular, I'd like to know what's the effect of this setting on Flexconnect APs.

Thank you in advance to anybody so kind to give me some clarification.

1 Reply 1

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7
Good question, I'd never really considered that feature. My interpretation would be if there are devices configured with link local addresses in either IPv4 or IPv6 address space (assuming you have IPv6 enabled) then devices can communicate through the controller on the same VLAN which is not too dissimilar to broadcast forwarding but perhaps the WLC blocks any link local traffic by default when detected.

Ric
-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card