cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Radios stopped working with PoE

mscherting
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to figure out why some APs radios quit working when supplied with PoE.

Yesterday I moved two converted 1131 LWAPs from one controller on one WiSM to a different controller on a different WiSM in an adjacent chassis.  Now none of the radios will come up.  To move, I changed primary controller.

Dot11Radio0 is reset, line protocol is down

Dot11Radio1 is reset, line protocol is down

power inline negotiation injector 0002.fc1f.d193
power inline negotiation prestandard source

Power is from AIR-PWRINJ3 inline with a 6509 switch.  I pulled down one AP.  When I apply DC power everything works.  I've now tried three different injectors and entirely diffeent cabling to no avail.

I've had a few APs do this in the past but never had time to dig deeply into it.

Any ideas, or am I just running into a manifestation of planned obsolescence, of the APs or the injectors?

All WiSM controllers are running 6.0.196.0

Thanks,

Mark

27 Replies 27

Thanks George.

sh power inl
Interface Admin  Oper            Power(Watts)     Device              Class    Police   ActualConsumption
                            From PS    To Device                   
--------- ------ ---------- ---------- ---------- ------------------- -----  ---------  ------------------

Fa1/1     auto   on         4.4        4.4        cisco AIR-AP1231G-A n/a       n/a           n/a
Fa1/2     auto   off        0          0          cisco AIR-AP1131AG- n/a       n/a           n/a

Problem is, I have a PWRINJ3 inline between the switch and the APs. This PoE blade doesn't supply enough power for dual radio APs but it does power 1231s.

It's like these APs quit negotiating/accepting inline power.

Thanks for your insights!  BTW, I'm off dousing other fires today...

Interface Admin  Oper            Power(Watts)     Device              Class    Police   ActualConsumption
                            From PS    To Device                   
--------- ------ ---------- ---------- ---------- ------------------- -----  ---------  ------------------

Fa1/1     auto   on         4.4        4.4        cisco AIR-AP1231G-A n/a       n/a           n/a

This is bizzare.  Can I ask if you can enter the command "power inline never" into the Fa1/1 interface of the 6500?

Is there a way for you to confirm that the PWR-INJ is working ... No, I take that back.  If the AP has a choice between an INJ or PoE, then it'll choose PoE.

Fa1/1 is connected to a single radio 1231 hanging above my desk.  It doesn't have an injector inline.  "Power inline never" shut it down.

It's the dual radio 1131s converted from IOS and running on PoE that are giving me fits, or at least I haven't encountered this on LAPs.  I'm going to have to pull a new LAP from inventory and verify.

I've tried three different injectors on this AP and put a Siemon MODAPT banjo inline betweenthe injector ant the AP.  There is a 47 volt potential between pins 8&4, 8&5, and 7&4, 7&5, which I beleive is correct; 7&8 tied together and 4&5 tied together for PoE.

Don't get offended when I say that your issue is "annoying" me.  I say this in a very good way.

OK.  So your 1130 is having the problem and I made a mistake on looking at the 1230 instead of the 1130.

There are a few ways to test this ....

1.  Bypass the power injector.  Plug a power pack/power brick directly to the AP.  I want to determine where the fault is:  cable(s), injector or AP.

2.  Change a different Power pack or injector.

3.  Are you sure you have enough PoE for the AP?  If you do the "sh power inline" you should see how much power you have left.

4.  I'm not sure what IOS you have with your 6500 but can you do a a TDR?  Here's how you do things:

a.   The command combinations are:  "test cable tdr interface Fa1/2 ", wait for about 5-8 seconds before following up with "sh cable tdr interface Fa1/2 " and post the result;

b.  Do two sets of test (if possible).  One with power injector and one with the power pack/power brick.

Did I miss anything?  I'll let you know when I have some more coffee.

"Annoying" is an understatement!

I've packed it in for the day but here's what I've tried, in a nutshell:

Three different injectors & three different bricks; the original injector and brick when this AP was hanging in a conference room plus two more of each back at my desk.  Two different 6509s.  I'm using a 1' certified Carlisle cable between the injector and the AP at my desk.

I moved the AP from fa1/2 to fa1/6 on the same WS-X6348-RJ-45 WS-F6K-VPWR  blade.  I've yet to move it to a non-PoE blade to see if something in the negotiation is breaking down.  I set power inline never" on the ports but I still get a low power negotiation message on boot.  I'll try a port on another blade next week.

I converted the AP back to IOS.  The radios still wouldn't come up with PoE.  Converted to LWAPP again.  Still no radios.  They only come up with 48vdc, not PoE.

I moved the AP from a WiSM controller to my newest 5508 appliance running 7.0.98.0.  No difference.

I now have five 1131s mis-behaving in this manner.  One is a LAP-1131 that had never seen a power injector but it was used with a real PoE switch a couple of months ago.

% TDR test is not supported on interface Fa1/2

sh mod 1
Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial No.
--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------
  1   48  48 port 10/100 mb RJ45                 WS-X6348-RJ-45     SAD04300R8J

Mod MAC addresses                       Hw    Fw           Sw           Status
--- ---------------------------------- ------ ------------ ------------ -------
  1  0002.fc1f.d192 to 0002.fc1f.d1c1   1.2   5.4(2)       12.2(33)SXI5 Ok

Mod  Sub-Module                  Model              Serial       Hw     Status
---- --------------------------- ------------------ ----------- ------- -------
  1  Inline Power Module         WS-F6K-VPWR                     1.0    Ok

Mod  Online Diag Status
---- -------------------
  1  Pass

Thanks & have a good weekend!

Have a good weekend.

Can you read the following documents in this link?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/13953-102-2-31958/Release_Notes_7_0_98_205.pdf
CSCti05687 (Wrong power unit was used on AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 and AIR-AP1220-IOS-UPGRD.)
CSCte57615 (1250 AP cannot negotiate PoE through CDP with dot1x enabled on the port)

I know Bug ID CSCte57615 says it affects 1250 but just check it out (and CSCti05687 is for the 1200).  Just for $hits-and-giggles, can you contact Cisco TAC and get a copy of the Special Engineering Release 7.0.98.205 and test it?

Leo,

Thanks for the links.  Interesting caveats.  I'm running into some of them.  Unfortuately my next maintenance window isn't for a few weeks.

In the meantime I moved the APs to non-PoE blades in the 6509s.  Radios negotiated full power and came up.

The following seems to be fatal combination:

6509s running (s3223_rp-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(33)SXI5

with a WS-X6348-RJ-45 low power PoE blade and a PWRINJ3 inline with 1131 LAPs.

The injector inline with the PoE blade used to work but the switchs' code was upgraded to accomodate 802.1x.

Thanks for everybodys assistance!  I'm going to run with my current setup for now.

NEWS BULLETIN!

New firmware will be releasing in the next two weeks.  I can't provide any information. 

mscherting
Level 1
Level 1

Update:  Work around/hack - disable CDP on the switch port.  Gets the radios up but is a non-positive feature!

I had another 1131 in another building, attached to another 6509 running new code go belly up today.

I had another 1131 in another building, attached to another 6509 running new code go belly up today.

Which code?  7.0.98.0 or the 7.0.114 JMR1?

Switch:  WS-C6509-V-E 12.2(33)SXI5

Module:
Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial No.
--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------
  9   48  48 port 10/100/1000mb EtherModule      WS-X6148-GE-TX     SAD080109CL

Mod MAC addresses                       Hw    Fw           Sw           Status
--- ---------------------------------- ------ ------------ ------------ -------
  9  000e.d79f.9ee8 to 000e.d79f.9f17   5.0   7.2(1)       12.2(33)SXI5 Ok

Mod  Sub-Module                  Model              Serial       Hw     Status
---- --------------------------- ------------------ ----------- ------- -------
  9  Cisco Voice Daughter Card   WS-F6K-VPWR-GE     SAD075205ZA  1.0    Ok

Port:
interface GigabitEthernet9/17
description K-04
switchport
switchport access vlan xxx
switchport mode access
power inline never
no cdp enable
end

WiSM:  6.0.196.0

The 1131 had been working with a PWRINJ3 inline, and inline power and cdp enabled.  WCS informed me that the radios were down so I shut off inline power and cdp.

I just re-enabled cdp and the radios stayed up.

Reloaded the LAP:

sh cont d0
Radio disabled due to inline power
sh cont d1
Radio disabled due to inline power

Disabled cdp on the port and reloaded the LAP again:

Radios didn't come up until I shutdown the port for a few minutes.

WiSM:  6.0.196.0

I'd stay away from 5.X and 6.X.  Wait for the soon-to-be-released 7.0.114.76.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card