Views
Helpful
Replies

Radius of coverage wifi

JMSA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you please send me the radius of coverage of the following model: CISCO modèle AIR-AP2802E-E-K9 for exterior use?If it is less than 50m, can you send me pls the model of the one that ensures 50m as coverage?

Awaiting your prompt answer.

Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- That access point is not designed for outdoor purposes , go here : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/outdoor-wireless/index.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Modelling software like Ekahau can provide the approximate coverage that an AP will provide. There are many things that will affect the coverage outdoors - buildings, trees etc and which radio band you are using. In free space the 2800 will cover 50m but it all comes down to the speeds you are trying to achieve as well, as the further from the AP the lower the data rates that can be achieved successfully.

That said the 2800 series is an indoor AP, whilst you could put it in a NEMA enclosure or mount inside with antennas outside there can be regulatory requirements around the available channels it can utilise and you would need to ensure the RF profile meets those requirements.

For dedicated outdoor APs consider the 1500 series or the 9124 series APs.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Its all depends where it was installed. compare to open space :

some information :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/116057-site-survey-guidelines-wlan-00.html#anc30

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- That access point is not designed for outdoor purposes , go here : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/outdoor-wireless/index.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you for your kind feedback. 

I am considering the Aironet 1560 Series and the Cisco Catalyst IW6300. Based on the datasheets, both series have the same protocol 802.11 ac so the expected radius of coverage should be the same (around 100m as per the following website: 5 Wireless Wifi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac, ad, ah, aj, ax, ay Router Range and Distance Comparison (geckoandfly.com)) However, I am looking for prices online and there is a huge difference. The IW6300 prices range is around 6000 USD whereas the Aironet 1560 prices are around 2000 USD. Is that normal or there is something I am missing here? Thank you 

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Modelling software like Ekahau can provide the approximate coverage that an AP will provide. There are many things that will affect the coverage outdoors - buildings, trees etc and which radio band you are using. In free space the 2800 will cover 50m but it all comes down to the speeds you are trying to achieve as well, as the further from the AP the lower the data rates that can be achieved successfully.

That said the 2800 series is an indoor AP, whilst you could put it in a NEMA enclosure or mount inside with antennas outside there can be regulatory requirements around the available channels it can utilise and you would need to ensure the RF profile meets those requirements.

For dedicated outdoor APs consider the 1500 series or the 9124 series APs.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for your kind feedback. 

I am considering the Aironet 1560 Series and the Cisco Catalyst IW6300. Based on the datasheets, both series have the same protocol 802.11 ac so the expected radius of coverage should be the same (around 100m as per the following website: 5 Wireless Wifi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac, ad, ah, aj, ax, ay Router Range and Distance Comparison (geckoandfly.com)) However, I am looking for prices online and there is a huge difference. The IW6300 prices range is around 6000 USD whereas the Aironet 1560 prices are around 2000 USD. Is that normal or there is something I am missing here? Thank you 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@JMSA wrote:
Can you please send me the radius of coverage of the following model: CISCO modèle AIR-AP2802E-E-K9 for exterior use?

Zero.  2802E does not have any antennas.

JMSA
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Thank you for your feedback. 

@JMSA wrote:
Is that normal or there is something I am missing here?

If the objective is to "spend the money" then go for it.

No one here is going to answer the question because no one knows, exactly, what you are trying to accomplish and what you are trying to cover(age).

Thank you for your reply.

The outdoor wifi access points are going to serve an outdoor parking dedicated to a bus station.

Is the coverage radius that I am considering and the prices correct?

@JMSA wrote:
The outdoor wifi access points are going to serve an outdoor parking dedicated to a bus station.

Not really helpful. 

It is a bus station, hooray.  And then what?  

1. Where are the APs going to be installed? 
  2. How high (from the ground) are the APs going to be installed?
  3. What is the coverage area needed?
  4. What is the orientation (horizontal, vertical) of the APs? 

These are the sort of questions (and a lot more) that will be answered when a proper site-survey/AP-placement is conducted.  If we continue to go down this path of playing "20 questions", then I bow out of this conversation. 

Range will vary as it will depend on power and where installed, but will probably work. no one will give any guarantee on it though.

As for prices, with the shortages you will see a lot of price gouging, so you should check through your VAR if you have one, or other more reputable sites like CDW etc. I personally have not bought those APs so not sure what "Normal" price should be.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card