cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommendation for outdoor access point

agrigals
Level 1
Level 1

I'm being asked to provide wireless coverage in a couple of outdoor areas about 50 - 100 feet out from our main building.  I'm looking for some recommendations on access points and antennas to use.  In our current indoor environment, we are using WiSM controllers running 7.0.98 code, and have mostly 1242 access points, although we have started installing the 3502 ap's.  Prefer a dual radio 2.4/5 GHz model, and N speed would be nice, but not required.   The "outdoor" access points shown on cisco.com seem to be for mesh or bridge installations, and that's not what I need.  The 1300 may be appropriate, but I'm not sure.  Otherwise, any concerns with using a 3502E outdoors, if it's protected in some sort of enclosure?  Other ideas?

Thanks,

Al

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Otherwise, any concerns with using a 3502E outdoors, if it's protected in some sort of enclosure?

3502E has a metal shell but it ain't weather proof nor is it water proof.  So you'll have to find a non-metallic enclosure to house the AP in.  The more important question is HOW are you going to provide a link (and power) to the AP that far away?

Next bit is your antenna.  You have a limited option.  You can either have individual rubber duck/rubber duckies (AIR-ANT4941, AIR-ANT2422DG, AIR-ANT2422DW/AIR-ANT2422SDW for the 802.11b and AIR-ANT5135D, AIR-ANT5135DG/AIR-ANT5135SDW, AIR-ANT5135DW for 802.11a) or patch antennas.

The 3502E can support antennas up to 6 dBi:  AIR-ANT2460NP or AIR-ANT5160NP.  You can also consider looking at the AIR-ANT2451NV which supports BOTH 802.11a and 802.11b radios (instead of purchasing one patch antenna for each).

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.  Thanks.

Thanks Leo.  If we mount the access points about 50 feet out from the building it will be within 100 meters of the nearest data closet, so getting power to the ap isn't a problem.  There are overhangs of about 20-30 feet at each location, so maybe what I can do is use the 3502E's in a plastic enclosure as you suggest, mount them to the bottom of the overhangs, and use those little rubber antennas (ant2422sdw and ant5135sdw.  Any other suggestions?

If we mount the access points about 50 feet out from the building

How high above the ground do you propose?

How many APs do you intend to install?  If you are doing this sparringly then the 2422S/5135S may NOT be enough.   I'd go for AIR-ANT2460NP and/or AIR-ANT5160NP.  Normally when you have one AP you need six antennas, for example, three 2422S for the b/g and three 5135S for the a/n radios.  If you choose the AIR-ANT2460NP or AIR-ANT5160NP then you just get ONE for the b/g and ONE for the a/n.    The 2422S/5135S has 2.2 dBi and 3.5 dBi gain respectively but the AIR-ANT2460NP or AIR-ANT5160NP has 6.0 dBi gain each.  So it's stronger.

Alternatively the 2451NV is a single unit and can support a/b/g/n radio.

Take not that when you are installing antenna make sure the Cisco logo is pointing towards the client.

Antennas transmit and receive radio signals which are susceptible to RF obstructions and common sources of interference that can reduce throughput and range of the device to which they are connected. Follow these guidelines to ensure the best possible performance:

•Install the antenna vertically and mount it with the cables pointing towards the ground.

•Keep the antenna away from metal obstructions such as heating and air-conditioning ducts, large ceiling trusses, building superstructures, and major power cabling runs. If necessary, use a rigid conduit to lower the antenna away from these obstructions.

•The density of the materials used in a building's construction determines the number of walls the signal can pass through and still maintain adequate signal strength. Consider the following before choosing the location for your antenna:

–Signals penetrate paper and vinyl walls with little change to signal strength.

–Signals penetrate only one or two solid and pre-cast concrete walls without degrading signal strength.

–Signals penetrate three or four concrete and wood block walls without degrading signal strength.

–Signals penetrate five or six walls constructed of drywall or wood without degrading signal strength.

–Signals will likely reflect off a thick metal wall and may not penetrate it at all.

–Signals will likely reflect off a chain link fence or wire mesh spaced between 1 and 1 1/2 in. (2.5 and 3.8 cm). The fence acts as a harmonic reflector that blocks the signal.

•Install the antenna away from microwave ovens and 2-GHz cordless phones. These products can cause signal interference because they operate in the same frequency range as the device to which your antenna is connected.

I'm thinking one access point would be mounted to each of the bottom outside corners of the overhang/canopy (two access points total), which is about 15-20 feet off the ground.  We need to be concerned with how the installation looks, so the smaller and more discrete the enclosure the better.  Since the 2422sdw/5135sdw don't appear to be rated for outdoor use, it may be best to place them in an enclosure to protect them as much as possible from the elements.  I do understand your point about using the higher gain antennas, but I will need to get approval from our "aesthetics" committee, so I'm trying to balance form and function.

Thanks,

Al

I do understand your point about using the higher gain antennas, but I will need to get approval from our "aesthetics" committee,

Fair `nough.  I did saw an AP installed in a school and protected by the lid of a garbage bin.  (Destructive) Kids didn't know what was under the cover until know. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: