cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Regarding to the Contention Window (CW), Help please.

CSCO11981350
Level 1
Level 1

Regarding to the Contention Window (CW).

as we know that the wireless client who wants to send data to the access point must generate a back-off time between 0 and CWmin and and waits until the RF channel is free for an interval called DIFS.

now who gives the CWmin to the client? (i think the AP, right?)

if the client's CWmin is given by the access point, how the AP gives it to the client ?

please tell me, i really could not find any explaination on the internet.

thank you

naoufl

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The AP gives the CWmin/max to the client, based on the configured EDCA parameters.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

do you have any idea how the AP gives the CWmin/max to the client? is it via the bacon frame?

please provide me with any documentation that explains how the AP assigns the CWmin/max to the client. because i need a refrence in this matter in my MSc dissertation.

thank you very much

Naoufl

I do believe that it is transmitted to the client in the beacon frames, as the client would need to know the EDCA parameters prior to joining the WLAN.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Correct.  It is in the WMM section of the beacon.

thank you very much for this important information.

can you please provide me with any reference that explain how the AP gives the CWmin/max.

I am really in need for this.

thank you.

naoufl

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card