Views
Helpful
Replies

Repeater functionality in Cisco WLAN

andreas.plaul
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I know repeater is the wrong term, nonetheless that is what I want to achieve.

Basically I have a landscape with 7500 flex WLC (so apparently no mesh possible) and deployed 3600AP's.

I simply want now to extend the range of the wireless coverage in anrea where no LAN cabling exists with a 3602 AP amplifying/repeating the signal of a nearby LAN connected 3602AP and its SSID's.

So whats the simplest way with the equipment at hand?

Best regards,

Andreas               

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well you would need to convert an access point to a repeater and then setup that autonomous AP as a repeater.  Now as this will work, it might not perform as good as you want it to, so you will just have to test it and see for yourself.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_3g_JA/configuration/guide/s43hot.html#wp1036125

http://mrncciew.com/2013/01/20/autonomous-ap-repeater/

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Also depending on the floor, if its line of sight, you can maybe use a 3602e and use a patch antenna to shoot the signal further down.  You would need good line of sight also for a repeater or else the backhaul will have a poor connection speed.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Hello Scott,

thanks for your quick answer.

Small clarification question. I surely understand to configure the AP into autonomous mode, as all then into repeater mode.

My question, wouldn't that need then a designated root ap and can this be a LWAPP AP joined to a 7500 WLC by only enabling the aironet extensions?

Best regards,

Andreas

No it wouldn't. In the past when I have used and tested repeaters, it wasn't worth it for performance. You just need to try to setup one and test it and see if it will or will not work for you.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card