Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace Cisco 4404 with 5508 Wireless Controller

CB90021204
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'd like to replace my 4402 Wireless controller with a new 5508. I have migrated the exact configuration from my 4404 controller to the 5508 and they are both running the same version of code. I'm worried that if I replace the 4402 with the 5508 controller, the Access Points will not rejoin to the new controller or they will join but will have lost their configuration e.g. AP Name/location etc etc. AP models registered to the existing controller are 1131, 1142 and 3502. I am also using Cisco WCS.

As long as the new controller has the exact same configuration, is it possible to replace the 4404 with the 5508? Will the existing Access Points join the new controller? Is there any other configuration required? I have read about doing this using mobility groups however would rather not if possible.

Thanks,                 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Generally recommend having both WLC online and using the mobility group to move the AP, if you have mirrored T&E config exactly including mgmt IP address it should be fine.

As for the AP, they store their config locally so they will maintain their name and other settings during the swap out.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Generally recommend having both WLC online and using the mobility group to move the AP, if you have mirrored T&E config exactly including mgmt IP address it should be fine.

As for the AP, they store their config locally so they will maintain their name and other settings during the swap out.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thank you for your quick response Stephen.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card