cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Resetting 'Wireless Web GUI' and not the whole switch configuration. Model WS-C3650

IT-LDI
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question on the reset of the Cisco Wireless Controller via the GUI interface. Will this only reconfigure the Wireless controller and leave the rest of the switch configuration in place? For some odd reason when changing this from a Mobility Controller to a Mobility Agent it shows up most everything as N/A, where none of my other switches are like this. I have rebooted this switch an few times changing the roles back an forth and nothing fixes it. I'm hoping that the reset to factory default located in the 'commands' configuration may fix it.

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you want to change MC -> MA, then I would remove the below config-line on CLI and reload the switch.

ASW2#wireless mobility controller

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have not used the switch as a controller, but to clarify, you are using the switch to manage your wireless access points? If you plan on factory resetting, that usually will fix the issue until you enter a command that brings back that issue.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Since you haven't used the 'wireless web controller' am I correct saying that you don't know if a reset on the wireless controller only resets the wireless controller?

Nope, not a fan of the CA UI, but did you look at the ‘help’ on the GUI? That typically explains all the features available on the UI.
-Scott

You should post a screen shot of where you are seeing this reset for better context to us.
-Scott

Hello, thank you all for the support you've provided to me. It has been very helpful. I did take a look at the help on the reset of the wireless controller and I'm glad I did. Here is what it shows for the reset option;

Configuration > Commands > Reset to Factory Default

The Configuration > Commands > Reset to Factory Default page enables you to reset the controller configuration to the factory default. Resetting the configuration overwrites all applied and saved configuration parameters. You are prompted for confirmation to reset the configuration. All configuration data files are deleted, and upon reboot, the controller is restored to its original unconfigured state. Resetting the configuration removes all IP configuration, and you need a serial connection to restore the base configuration.

I'm still wondering if it is only wireless controller and leaves all the vlan configuration and the rest of the port configuration intact? I do have attached information that I found on Cisco's website, but the searching of the help did give me more insight.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Here's more information that I was initially looking at for the resetting tie wireless. This is for the 3650 switches which these are;

Well that tells you that it resets the wireless controller configuration not the switch. Do you not have a test switch you can play around with? How many AP’s do you have connected that are managed by the switch?
-Scott

Currently on that switch, there is only (1) access point that is supported by this wireless controller. I am planning on replacing the older wireless access points which are 1130 models that are not supported by the wireless controller. There are (3) 1130 model access points connected to this switch and are configured via the CLI only. I will be replacing these 1130 AP's with the 2602i lightweight version and they are compatible with the wireless controller. I was able to move the (1) 2602i AP that was on this switch to a neighbor switch and do have the access point working on that switch through the wireless controller on that switch.

Unfortunately, I don't have another switch to test this on.

This is at our remote location, I will be traveling there in a week and may have to give it a try.

If you are not using the switch as a controller, then you should disable the functionality. Rasika posted the command to disable mobility controller. If your older api are autonomous or controllers by an older controller, you don’t need the wireless on the switch. You mentioned you will be using the 2602 as a controller, so again, you don’t need the switch to be a controller.
-Scott

If you want to change MC -> MA, then I would remove the below config-line on CLI and reload the switch.

ASW2#wireless mobility controller

HTH

Rasika

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card