Views
Helpful
Replies

RMI+RP HA on C9800 Null interface erro

trapasso
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

starting to configure a pair of c9800-80 WLC in HA Mode.  I have RMI-RP enabled and things seems to be working.  I can force a switchover and the controllers switch.  The primary IP address remains and I can mange the WLC. 

The one issue I am seeing is on the CLI.  I am seeing the following error on the standby controller every second and the prompt shows WLC1(recovery-mode)-stby>:

RMI-GW-ERR: IPV4 GW/L2: Null interface

Anyone know what this message means.  Can't find a definition for it.

show redundancy looks normal:

Redundant System Information :
------------------------------
Available system uptime = 1 hour, 7 minutes
Switchovers system experienced = 1
Standby failures = 0
Last switchover reason = user forced

Hardware Mode = Duplex
Configured Redundancy Mode = sso
Operating Redundancy Mode = sso
Maintenance Mode = Disabled
Communications = Up

Current Processor Information :
-------------------------------
Active Location = slot 2
Current Software state = ACTIVE
Uptime in current state = 16 minutes
Image Version = Cisco IOS Software [Dublin], C9800 Software (C9800_IOSXE-K9), Version 17.12.2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2023 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 14-Nov-23 06:00 by mcpre
BOOT = bootflash:C9800-80-universalk9_wlc.17.12.02.SPA.bin,12;bootflash:/C9800-80-universalk9_wlc.17.03.04c.SPA.bin,12;
CONFIG_FILE =
Configuration register = 0x102
Recovery mode = Not Applicable
Fast Switchover = Enabled
Initial Garp = Enabled

Peer Processor Information :
----------------------------
Standby Location = slot 1
Current Software state = STANDBY HOT
Uptime in current state = 9 minutes
Image Version = Cisco IOS Software [Dublin], C9800 Software (C9800_IOSXE-K9), Version 17.12.2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2023 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 14-Nov-23 06:00 by mcpre
BOOT = bootflash:C9800-80-universalk9_wlc.17.12.02.SPA.bin,12;bootflash:/C9800-80-universalk9_wlc.17.03.04c.SPA.bin,12;
CONFIG_FILE =
Configuration register = 0x102

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I think that message can be ignored ; but have a checkup of the primary  c9800-80 WLC configuration with the CLI command 
                                      show tech wireless and feed the output into : Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I think that message can be ignored ; but have a checkup of the primary  c9800-80 WLC configuration with the CLI command 
                                      show tech wireless and feed the output into : Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for the suggestion.

The Config Analyzer identified a finger fumble in the config.  RMI address was wrong

jagan.chowdam
Level 4
Level 4

Looks like your original primary became standby. If you didn't force switchover, verify current standby (original Primary) can reach gateway. 

Also check the bug "CSCvw73438" make sure you are not running any of the affected release code.

the prompt shows WLC1(recovery-mode)-stby>  If Gateway goes down, standby goes to standby-recovery mode. Standby means, its state is up to date with the active. But since it does not have the other resource (Gateway) it goes to Standby-Recovery. The standby shall not be in a position to take over the active functionality when it is in standby-recovery mode. Standby-Recovery will go back to Standby without a reload, once it detects that the Gateway reachability is restored.

Jagan Chowdam

/**Pl rate useful responses**/

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card