Views
Helpful
Replies

Roaming Question

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

some users are complaining about disconnectivity. While walking around with our test laptops we notice that roaming between APs we lose pings. I asked this before but, have never gotten a definative answer. Is it normal to lose pings when roaming between APs? And also, when I am walking about and I see the Windows bubble message " Wireless Network Connection is Now Connected", does this mean I was disconnected and the reconnected?

What should I be looking for in any debug output from the Controller for reason for the disconnection?

Thanks, Pat.

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Patrick,

while running the debug client < mac address>  you should look for full authentications, as well as retries.  generally you can lose up to one ping, and not have it be an issue, but I've seen lots of roams that dont' drop any.  most of this depends on the RF coverage and proper overlap/RSSI/SNR between the cells, and the clients being able to fast roam.

If what you are seeing is only a section of the users, I'd try to find what their devices have in common, OS, chipset, driver vesion, etc.

HTH,
Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the quesiton as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Patrick,

Something not mentioned is what security are you using ? If you are doing 802.1X EAP and your client doesn't support CCKM or WPA2/AES advance romaing. Every time you roam from ap to ap you could be doing a full 802.1X authentication. "Think of pulling a wire out of the jack and putting it back in each time you roam". We can have a long long long conversation on PMK-IDs and fast roam back, roam forward, OKC / PKC ... etc ... I wont bore you ...

So what security are you using ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: