Views
Helpful
Replies

RRM Discussion

raun.williams
Level 3
Level 3

Hey guys,
I'm looking for some input on RRM.  I personally have NOT used it in a LONG TIME, since probably the 4.0 days
and then very shortly due to massive issues it was causing and admittedly, in part due to my ignorance
at the time.  So, every since that point, I have always set all my channels and power manually but now
feel I am getting to some points where RRM may be required / beneficial.  So, I've invested some time and
have begun researching and trying to get the ends and outs on it but I'm forseeing a potential issue in my
world anyways and am hoping for some clairifcation.  Lets take the below example:

WLC5508a and b - (2 100ap license controllers) - these hold the majority of the AP's for the main hospital.
Lets say, 140AP's.

WLC5508c and d - (1 100ap and 1 50ap licensed controllers) -  These tend to hold our smaller sites and
and buildings, not all connected and some a few miles from each other

WLC4402a and b - (failover ready)

So, with RRM, I can set setting it up on the 5508A/B with out issue as this is one big large building. However,
what about C and D?  I suppose I can make them a seperate RF Group, but how would RRM respond when it has
16 AP's in Building X and then 3 AP's in Building Y 30 AP's in Building Z and sparadic buildings with 1's
and 2's?  Everything I've read so far, leads me to believe if these devices are seperated it probably
won't be an issue, however, I just don't want something causing a change in Building Z and Building X be
affected because RRM decided it would try to fix it.  I'm not sure if that came out quite right, but
that is the general idea.  My point is, I can't afford to have a seperate RF Group (meaning seperate
controllers) for every location.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Eduard Polyakov
Level 1
Level 1

This is from VoWLAN design guide 4.1 (which is quite old, but I think it's still applies).

Logical RF Sub-groups

Within an AP group there may be clusters of APs that do not see each other, even if they are connected to the same WLC or connected to different WLCs that are part of the same RF group. In this case, these APs form a logical RF sub-group whose RF parameters are calculated separately( i.e., the Auto-RF algorithms are calculated per RF sub-group).

Regards,

Eduard

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Eduard Polyakov
Level 1
Level 1

This is from VoWLAN design guide 4.1 (which is quite old, but I think it's still applies).

Logical RF Sub-groups

Within an AP group there may be clusters of APs that do not see each other, even if they are connected to the same WLC or connected to different WLCs that are part of the same RF group. In this case, these APs form a logical RF sub-group whose RF parameters are calculated separately( i.e., the Auto-RF algorithms are calculated per RF sub-group).

Regards,

Eduard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card