Views
Helpful
Replies

RxSOP default value

Alex-Pr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts!

I have found setting the RxSOP too aggressive to affect client roaming.  Setting it lower seems to work well however I want to understand better at what level do the AP's actually run at in the Auto mode...  Overall I am trying to tune a mixed environment where a lot of huge areas are ultra high density.  My goal is to have the RxSOP as low as possible without causing roaming troubles.

For the AP's that I have not set an RxSOP value and the controller settings are set to auto, the RxSOP sensitivity says 0. (Other AP's that I have set something on say -80 or -85 for example)

My understanding for the Auto Setting that says 0, anything the AP hears on the same channel, it will demodulate and also holdback talk until it sees the channel clear. But at what level is this normally at?  -85? -100? -128?  I am trying to understand what delta I have from the Auto to what I have it set at.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...I am trying to understand what delta I have from the Auto to what I have it set at.

It depends : 
             In an ultra-high-density environment, setting RxSOP too aggressively may cause issues with client roaming, as you mentioned. It's a delicate balance between avoiding interference and providing seamless roaming. By setting the RxSOP to a lower value, you are allowing the AP to be more sensitive to weaker signals, potentially improving roaming but at the cost of increased susceptibility to interference.

To fine-tune the RxSOP settings, it's essential to conduct a thorough site survey and analysis of your specific environment. You may need to experiment with different values to find the optimal balance for your network, taking into consideration factors like interference sources, client density, and roaming behavior. Regular monitoring and adjustments may be necessary as the environment evolves.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thanks M.

That all makes sense to me but what I am trying to understand is what the Auto value really means...  If it is in Auto will the AP process or ignore stuff it hears at -90dBi???   

I want to start with Auto as the benchmark and work from there...

Thanks again!

- FYI : https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/rxsop-values/m-p/4273147#M225241

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi M,

Ya I read that post and also the support doc before posting this.  For Auto it says "Use Radio Default" and when I try to figure out what the default is the value says 0 since I don't have a default RxSOP set.  My understanding is that means as long as the radio can hear something on it's channel no matter how low that is, it will decode the packet (or hold off talking).  My curiosity is at what that level typically is.  Perhaps it is different per antenna type...  Can a radio hear something at -110dBi

Thanks again

Alex. 

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Default RX-SOP should match minimum standard CCA -82 dBm, and that was the value set on legacy AireOS codes. But I think this could be customized per vendor to try to listen really low signal devices, which is not always the best.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card