Views
Helpful
Replies

scheduled configuration backup of wlc4400

lunestadr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

has anyone found a method to do scheduled configuration backups without WCS ? I wonder if it is possible to do scheduled backups when only using a standalone wlc4400 without WCS.

rolf

5 Replies 5

alinn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Rolf,

Unfortunately there is not a way to schedule configuration backups without the use of WCS. I haven't seen any other way to schedule this event. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Aaron

netmasque
Level 1
Level 1

It is possible, but not natively on the WLC itself.

If you have a Unix box with Bash and Cron on it (Any Linux/BSD/Solaris/etc just about), you could run this script if the SNMP tools are installed.

I haven't really tested this much, I just hacked it together real quick after sniffing WCS' sending out a config backup..

Anyway, have at it... I didn't bother to open the MIB definition file to see if I needed to use all of these commands.. but it works. Stick it in a cronjob, configure the first few lines.. and call it a night.

If/When they delete the attachment, you can grab it from

http://www.unifiedwifi.com/backup_v1.sh

frankzehrer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Rolf,

from Windows i use TeraTerm (older Terminal freeware). Thius program has a buil-in macro ability which let you write a macro for logging into the controller and issue commands.

http://www.ayera.com/teraterm/

This is a modified release from the original one (link to the original source is given on the web page).

The create a scheduled task and start at a given time the macro.

Best regards,

Frank

Hi,

thanks for the tip. I will investigate both options along with Kiwi Cattools (www.kiwisyslog.com)

regards rolf

You can do this several ways.  If you want to use PI, then go to Deploy > Scheduled Configuration Task > WLAN Configuration.
Remember, you need to specify what time the SSID is enabled and what time the SSID is disabled.  You can't just specify one.  It's an annoying "feature".
On the IOS APs there is no way to schdule that the SSID is broadcasted in a time frame or period, but you can configure a time based ACL so that the SSID will be always broadcasted but once the ACL comes in they useres will not be able to pass traffic.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card