Views
Helpful
Replies

Secondary WLC Only Operations in WLC HA

EE_36220
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In a 5508 WLC HA scenario with one WLC having a valid AP Count license and the other WLC having a HA SKU, in case the primary wlc failed for an exceptional long period of time, is there any limitations during the time when only the secondary wlc is in service.

e.g.

1. when the original HA secondary (now active) restarted, all APs can join the wlc and functions as usual;  

2. adding new APs;

3. changing the wlc configurations;

4. will there be any difference after the 90 days count down.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- There are no limitations in time for operating the now-primary, but the idea is that the faulty controller gets replaced quickly

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Marce here, but it seems why would would not replace the primary unit.  The main issue you would face if you never bring back the controller with license, is if there is an issue with your ha sku controller and you have to rebuild it.  The ha sku will need to join a controller with valid license.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

EE_36220
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Marce & Scott,

Understood that in such scenario, the failed primary controller should be replaced asap. Just want to know the risk before it is replaced and only the secondary controller is in place.

Am I right to say that:

1. there is no difference in the wireless network operation except it cannot withstand any more wlc failure?

2. the 90 days count down will only trigger a reminder and will not interfere the wireless network operations?

E.

The wireless network will continue to work.  The 90 day is a reminder, but I remember in my lab that it stopped working.  I don't remember what code I was on as that was a long time ago.  You just have to call that 90 day's as a risk... set expectations.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card