Helpful
Replies

Slow connection after Software upgrade on WLC 5508

natuan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We have a WLC 5508.

A few days ago, we upgraded software version from 8.0.120.0 to 8.2.151.0. After that, the connection was slow (<1Mbps for b/g/n devices and good with ac devices)

I searched some documents and support topics but I got no idea to fix it.

Has anyone have the similar situation?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@natuan wrote:

After that, the connection was slow (<1Mbps for b/g/n devices and good with ac devices) 

This sounds like co-channel interference.  

What happens if the clients are connected to 802.11a radio?

What data rates are enabled on the controller?

Thank you.

We do not use 802.11a and we did not change any configuration so I think data rate is not a problem.

We will check all channels for interference.

I capture a screenshot. Can you take a look at it?

@natuan wrote:

we did not change any configuration

I disagree.  You upgraded from 8.0.120.0 to 8.2.151.0.  That's already a change in configuration and behaviour of the controller/wireless.  The APs will need to re-tune their radios.  

@natuan wrote:

We do not use 802.11a 

802.11b is a very congested frequency with 3 non-overlapping channels to use.  If this network is in a very dense neighborhood where everyone has 802.11b blasting through the air, then anyone's wireless network is useless.  

If you have all data rates enabled and you have high co-channel interference then there will be very, very low airtime.  With a low airtime the wireless clients have to significantly demodulate themselves so they can push traffic across.  And if you've got wireless clients transmitting at <1 Mbps, then there is a serious chance of high co-channel interference.  

And NOT running 802.11a is not a good idea (unless there is a law prohibiting 802.11a) and it will just make matters worst.  

Thank you for your help. I will check all channels and data rate.

Hope we can fix it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card