Views
Helpful
Replies

speed test over wifi

aous.salloum
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ,
I did one installation for 20 access Points the problem is when we connect to the wireless and go to speedtest.net its showing me the speed as 12 Mbps , but if i connect through cable directly to the switch and go to speedtest.net it will show the speed as 86Mbps . so what is the problem with the wireless ? the connection from the service provider is coming to the ASA where am doing the natting and from the ASA to the core switch .
please advice
thanks allot

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

3945 adapter maximum achievable speed is 19/20Mbps. So that's not far from what you're seeing.

This is the max speed if you transfer from the wireless to something immediately behind the AP. If you do an internet speed test, it tests the speed from your PC up to their server on the internet so the time to travel is much longer and you can't achieve the maximum speed with that.

Sounds not so abnormal to me.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is your AP model in the first place ?

What is your client model as well ?

Nicolas

AP model is AIR-LAP1041N-E-K9  

client model mainly :Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG , but we tested it with different clients as well .

thanks .

3945 adapter maximum achievable speed is 19/20Mbps. So that's not far from what you're seeing.

This is the max speed if you transfer from the wireless to something immediately behind the AP. If you do an internet speed test, it tests the speed from your PC up to their server on the internet so the time to travel is much longer and you can't achieve the maximum speed with that.

Sounds not so abnormal to me.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Aous,

You can also use a tool called iperf. It allows you to test your speed between links. For example, say you have a wireless laptop and a server on the wire. You deploy an agent on the sever and run the program on the wireless client. It will tell you the max bandwidth between the two devices. This is great for testing bandwidth ... Ive used this over the net as well...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf/

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin