cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ssh host keys on WLC

bgoulet00
Level 1
Level 1

How do you properly configure SSH keys on a WLC?  On IOS I normally set the domain name of our organization on the system and then use the "crypto key generate rsa" command.  I have found the WLC "network ssh host-key generate" generate command but can't find a way to set the domain name.  I also don't see any way to specify the cypher or key size and can't find any documentation on what the default cypher and key size are.  Do I need to install a certificate and use "ssh host-key use-device-certificate-key" instead if i want control over those items?

4 Replies 4

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is a valuable question that I could not answer.
I think Saravanan can help us at this point.
Saravanan where are you? :-)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you having an issue with ssh to the WLC?

By default they have SSH enabled am you should be able to get there.

Do keep in mind that it doesn't run IOS, so some features oY are used to do not work the same.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Steve:
I agree with you they do not work the same. But my concern when I saw the question is that there is no way to decide the cypher or the key size!!

Also the command:

ssh host-key use-device-certificate-key

What does it mean by the device certificate? SSL cert for management and web-auth? or something else? This is not clear at all and it needs to be documented. My search revealed nothing.

Steve,

I know that SSH is active out of the box and i'm not having any trouble ussing SSH to get to the device.  Most modern IOS devices come with the functionality out of the box now too but it is our corporate policy to delete the default keys that came on the device and create new ones using RSA 128 linked with our domain name.  I'm trying to maintain this policy on the controllers too if possible and also get some info on what the default key settings are.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card